Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What My Trip Looked Like. Sort Of.


Sadly, mini Blogher is already over. I feel like it just barely began! We were in Las Vegas for almost exactly 48 hours and let me tell you, they were some really fabulous hours.

Janssen and her mom met me at the baggage claim at LAS on Sunday afternoon. I had forgotten how glitzy even the airport is. There are slots and neon lights and mirrors and pictures of mostly nekkid women...the Vegas experience starts before you even step outside the airport, baby!

We had a really lovely Sunday evening with her family. A yummy dinner (with home made rolls!), family home evening (they're one of those families that actually sings an opening and closing hymn. I didn't know families like that really existed), I even met their home teachers. And they were all really nice when a certain small person who shall remain nameless morphed into The Devil's Child.

On Monday, after a hearty breakfast of cornflakes (me) and rice krispie treats (Janssen), we headed with her mom over to the Forum shops at Caesar's Palace.

Here we are in front of Spago, one of Wolfgang Puck's uber expensive Las Vegas restaurants:

We wandered in and out of a lot of places where we couldn't afford to buy anything. I believe it can be safely concluded that all three of us women folk really like sparkly things. Wes was decidedly unimpressed by anything in the Tiffany store. Clearly I am raising him wrong.

Eventually we found ourselves in front of FAO Schwartz, which has this awesome 3 story horse in front of it:

We rode the elevator inside his back legs up to the second floor, where Janssen and I delighted onlookers with our fancy footwork as we played Chopsticks!

(Janssen, go rent Big. Then this will make sense)

Eventually we found our way over to the Anthropologie store that Janssen's cute cute cute little sister works at. It was, of course, a really great store and we couldn't afford anything. But here's how lovely we look in their pretty dresses:

I know, I need to put a shirt on underneath that awfully low cut dress. Scandalous!

At that point we were starving so we headed on over to Cheesecake Factory.

Yummy!

Janssen's mom took off after lunch and we took Wes on over to the Bellagio where we enjoyed a really fabulous chocolate souffle crepe from the Jean-Pierre Patisserie. My mom had one a while ago and has raved about it ever since, so we had to try one. It was goooood. I definitely recommend.

We headed outside just in time to catch the fountains.

The fountains are one of my most favorite parts of Vegas..just so awesome. They're better at night, but they're worth seeing at any time of day! Even Wes was impressed.

And, of course, who can resist the beauty of the Chihuly ceiling in the Bellagio lobby? We asked one of the employees how much the ceiling cost and she said it cost $13 million when they first commissioned it and it recently appraised for $40 million. And then we asked her if the installers broke any of the glass when they were putting the 2000 pieces up and she said ya, they broke a lot. So now you know.

What's that? Did I forget my camera? Of course not! Janssen forgot her camera. I forgot my memory card.

Yay for Photobooth, without which we would be completely devoid of any kind of photographic evidence that this trip occurred.




How to make friends with Wes: let him chew on you. He made eyes at her for the rest of the trip after this.

We finished off Tuesday with a viewing of BBC's Sense and Sensibility. We loved Edward Ferrars. We all wanted Marianne's wardrobe and hair. We couldn't get behind Willhoughby (he had skeezy eyes). But, not surprisingly, we loved it. Which is probably why Janssen and I get along so well.

Before heading to the airport this morning we did some more shopping and got all kinds of inspired at Pottery Barn. Decorating project details may be forthcoming on both our blogs.

The flight home was short, but it was long enough for Wes to A. scream loudly and uncontrollably for 10 minutes because he was just. so. TIRED. and B. somehow stick his entire left leg down my shirt which then led to some very awkward exposure as I tried to wrestle him back out again. To the elderly gentleman sitting next to me: hope you enjoyed the show!


All in all I had such a good time. I was kind of worried that I'd show up and we'd have nothing to talk about and it would just be really awkward, but my fears were completely unfounded and I had a blast.

Thanks to Janssen and her super awesome family for everything..good food, good company, lots of Onward Christian Soldiers (and a little Greenday), more towels than I could ever possibly use, and a really great trip.

8 comments:

Elisa said...

1. Your friend is a doll. And Janssen is a sweet name. Is that her real name or are you a pseudonym blogger?
2. Love the pics.
3. Make sure you never refer to him as Devil's Child when he is within earshot. My aunt Cheryl was a very difficult child and my grandmother used to call her Cheryl the Peril ... until she started kindergarten and introduced herself as Cheryl the Peril to everyone. True story.

Bart said...

Janssen had good things to say when she got home yesterday, too. Her family is pretty amazing, huh? I'm always inspired (sometimes by Pottery Barn, too, of course) when I visit.

I'm sad I didn't get to meet you and Wes. Maybe when you visit at Christmas instead of going to Hawaii. Just sayin'.

Janssen said...

I'm with Bart - forget lame Hawaii. I had too much fun for there not to be a repeat visit.

Also, the IKEA bed? Sadly ugly.

These pictures are pretty much the most awesome thing EVER!!!

Melody B. said...

How funny. I felt like I was watching a jib jab show!:P You brought back some memories of our Vegas time, so thanks!:)

Sherry said...

I know that Elisa's comment wasn't directed toward me, but nobody has answered it- Yes, Janssen is her real name.

And I adored these photos. Way to go.

Also, I invited myself to the next Mini-Blogher, and Janssen said I could come. Hope you don't mind. If you do, I un-invite you.

angela hardison said...

So hilarious - I love all these pics. Glad you had a nice trip to Vegas (sadly I've only had unpleasant experiences there)!

Unknown said...

Kevin and I went to Vegas on our honeymoon, and it turns out I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. It wasn't of the "it bothers me a little" variety, either.

Everywhere that my skin had been exposed to the air broke out in hives and felt like it was on fire. I had to be doused under cold water for an hour before I could do anything else that night.

Happy honeymoon!

Becky said...

SO FUN!! I love vegas. I like how you added yourselves into the pics! Isn't FAO Schwartz the best...we stayed for forever...Kent was ready to go after 30 minutes, but not me...I could have stayed all day and spent our lifesavings on fun toys..good thing I have a mature husband with a good head on his shoulders and who controls the money!