Friday, July 18, 2008

I Have Hair Issues

So remember when I finally got my hair cut not all that long ago? Mostly it was a trim to clean up the completely and totally style less/shapeless/horror on top of my head. However, I did make a change in that I asked for some nice little side-swept bangs to jazz things up a little.

I swear when she cut my bangs and styled them and told me to check myself out it was like angels were singing and I looked pretty and I remembered that once upon a time I used to shower and put on makeup and do my hair every single day. And I was happy and inspired and thought that maybe, just maybe, I could find it in myself to do my hair more than 40% (ok 30%) of the time.

The only problem is that my stylist parted my hair in such a way that could never be recreated by a mere mortal. It was crooked-y..but not. It was all stylish and funky looking and I loved it. And I could never figure out how to do it again. So my bangs were never quite right after that day. Sure, they looked fine, but there were no angels singing.

I took my shaggier-by-the-day bangs in today for a trim. I told the girl about my parting problem and she said she would give me a simpler, straighter part and then trim up my bangs so that I could more easily do my own hair at home.

Then I got distracted when she asked me if the part she gave me looked ok and I just said yes while throwing a toy at (er..tossing a toy to. Gently.) my screaming child.

And when I looked up I had these really dramatic deeply side-swept bangs. Which, cute! On other people. Not really what I had in mind and kind of different for me, but I can live with them.

The problem is, I'm still pretty sure i won't be able to recreate them at home. There was product and a round brush and a straightening iron and...I own one working curling iron. And one not so working curling iron. And a blow dryer that's thinking about dying.

Sigh.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Tragic. I hate this. In fact, I've recently taken up not having them style my hair at the end. It's just depressing when I come home and it's adorable...and then it never looks like that again. This way, whatever I do to it looks better than nothing. Also, I know what my hair looks like if I just get out of the shower and do nothing.

Some days, that knowledge is vital.

Bart said...

"How can [I] read this? There's no pictures!"

Becky said...

oh...you need a round brush!! And don't feel bad about the parting stuff.. I have the same problem. I pathetically try to shampoo my hair in such a way to not mess up the part-- I can keep it for a day or two and then bye-bye beautiful part!! I think we need a 'part-ing class'!

Unknown said...

That's why I always stop them right before they get to the parting and do it myself. Then I say, "this is my part, what can you do with it?"

Janssen said...

Whoops - that blowdryer DID die in Vegas.