Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Got Nothin

I have a few things I want to blog about, but, oddly, each of those things requires a camera. I keep thinking, "Hey! I'll blog about that!" and then I run around my house trying to find my camera until I lose interest or Wes gets hungry or something else distracts me (Hey! Something shiny!). This has been going on for 4 days and I just now figured out that maybe the camera isn't here. I think it's at my parents' house along with everything else we have left there over time (it is impossible to get to their house with everything we need to bring and equally impossible to leave with everything we need to take home).


For FHE last night Aaron and I took stock of our food storage. We're doing pretty well (better than I thought) but we wanted to see how much more we needed for our year supply. Which is how I found out that they've changed their recommendations.

Remember how it used to be like, "for one person for one year you need 700 metric tons of wheat, 30 billion pounds of sugar, enough pinto beans to bury your house," etc.? It's not like that anymore. Now, instead of 1 year, it's "long term storage" and instead of amounts and types to squirrel away, it's, "store things that last a long time that can help you live." Thank you, Captain Helpful, we'll get right on that.

2 comments:

chosha said...

I was thinking about that, too, mostly because of the food shortages worldwide. I'm keeping better track of my groceries lately because I really don't have a good sense of how much I use of particular items.

Lonica said...

As the official Food Storage Coordinator of our family (Scott is the Chief Finanacial Officer) I spent quite a bit of time (about two years ago) mapping out all the things we would need to "survive". I bought lots of red wheat and powdered milk. Then it sat under our bed. Helpful, right? Now that time has passed, I tend not to buy the actually cannery goods (maybe because they are a bit difficult to purchase in Ohio), but just stock up on the things we actually use, like Herdez salsa. Useful, no? I know that if we're starving at least we'll have salsa. We just bought a chest freezer though and this opens up whole new possiblities of foods to store. So far I've made batchs of frozen cookie dough. Seems like we'll be surviving on cookie dough and salsa. Great huh?