Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Reality Check

I took a whole lot of years of Spanish in junior high and high school. I'm still able to string together a decent (present and future tense only) sentence and I can usually understand what's going on if someone speaks slowly enough to me.

So I was looking through our bookcases the other day trying to figure out of there was anything I hadn't read yet when I came across En El Tiempo de las Mariposas in the original Spanish. I flipped it over and read the reviews on the back and thought, Hey! I understand every word! Maybe my Spanish isn't so rusty after all!

So then I decided to try reading the book. I figured I'd be able to follow the story line if I read slowly enough and hopefully I'd pick up some of the words and verb tenses I had lost.

So I settled in bed and opened to the first page. I read the first sentence. I read the first sentence again. I read the first sentence three more times trying to figure out what the heck kind of language this was.

And then I put it down and gave up.

Maybe I need to watch a little Dora.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I traded all my jr. high spanish for college italian. Now I can only understand un poco, when they repeat it "mas despacio, por favor." I need a review. Maybe I'll head over to the library for some Dora as you suggested...

Lonica said...

I once tried to read the BofM in Spanish, thinking much like you were. I mean, I already know the plot, right? It was very difficult! Loved this post!