Thursday, November 08, 2007

NaBloPoMo Day 8: Letters

Dear Nikki,

Blog, you slacker (as soon as I typed that I realized I should check your blog and, as it turns out, you did blog. So put that sentence on ice and pretend I said it tomorrow)! Also, move down here. You're missing a lot of fun family stuff, like mom's better-late-than-never family birthday party tonight (we're having pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream followed by ice cream sundaes) and our speculation over why Jared didn't talk to, much less dance with, Kristi at the Harvest Dance. Is it over before it even really began?? Is he just telling us stuff so we'll leave him alone?

Your sister in..sisterness,

Kayla

______________________________


Dear Bethany,

Are you ready to come out of post-partum hiding yet? I miss you. And, if it makes you happy, you should just blog endless pictures of Gavin. The baby hungry among us will greatly appreciate it, and those who don't can go suck an egg. They don't appreciate the finer things in life anyway.

Your still pregnant friend,

Kayla

P.S. Can I come hold your baby? I'll give him back afterward, I swear.
P.P.S. I'm glad you appreciate my multi-post days! I feel like kind of a loser when I post more than once. And I feel like an even bigger loser when I post more than TWICE.

______________________________


Dear Person in the Bathroom,

Get OUT. I have a small person jumping on my insides and the situation is 3 seconds away from becoming an emergency.

Not your friend for much longer,

Kayla

______________________________


Dear Aaron,

I love you! I think getting married was a good idea. I have my doubts about this baby thing (how do people afford kids anyway?) but I'm glad we're doing it.

Your most favorite person ever,

Kayla

______________________________

Dear Baby Wes,

I'm sorry I have dreams about you being born prematurely just so I can get to work on losing weight already. It's not a reflection of my feelings for you, I'm just not used to being a fat person and this whole pregnancy has been one long identity crisis. I hope you're born only when you're ready and that you're fat and in full working order when you arrive. Also, if you come fully prepared to be a champion eater and sleeper, I'll convince daddy to buy you a pony. Bonus points for a full head of hair that sticks up in cute ways.

Your ever-fatter mama,

Kayla

______________________________

Dear 8 Pounds,

Wow, um, it seems the 4 I was expecting brought friends! Just for future reference, I'm not really down with the bringing of uninvited guests. I mean, it's cool and all since I seem to have room for everyone (where ARE you? I mean, my belly grew this month, but not 8 pounds worth), but in the future, could you just ask permission? Oh, and if some of you want to stick to the baby, I'm down with that. Then he can just take you with him when he leaves and cleaning up after the party will be a lot easier.

Your friend in nachos and all things cheesy and melted,

Kayla

______________________________


Dear Lurkers,

Unfortunately, I missed out on national de-lurking day due to the fact that I was completely unaware, so just for fun I'm declaring TODAY (or whatever day you read this) as TheMoncurs De-Lurk Day.

According to Google Analytics, I have anywhere from 50 to 85 hits in a day...even with a 20% bounce rate that's a stinking lot of readers considering I average about 2 or 3 comments per post. I'm not anti-lurking by any means, I do it myself (quite well, I might add) and don't really expect audience participation, but it would be nice to know who is out there reading the intimate details of how I unbutton my pants as I drive around.

So, dear readers (yes, all of you!), it would make my day (week, even!) if you'd leave me a comment. Introduce yourself if I don't know you and tell me how you found your way here. If I DO know you, tell me one thing you like about me (I'm feeling really fat, ok? Some ego-boosting would be lovely). Or, if you don't want to pander to my insecurities, you can just tell me your favorite color (I'm partial to blue myself, with the occasional affair with red).

Your friend in blogging and possibly other stuff,

Kayla

______________________________


Dear Everyone,

Does it seem to anyone else like the entire world is pregnant? I'm so trendy right now!

Currently squished in at the pregnant table with the cool kids and fighting over the last cookie,

Kayla

15 comments:

Noelle said...

Kayla, I've commented before, but I just thought I'd let you know that I've added you to my "google reader" so I'm officially a regular here on your blog. I love your blog and how candid (not to mention humorous) you are in your writing. We actually have quite a lot in common and I'm more than happy to get you an invite to my blog if you'd be interested, I just need your email address. (You can give it to Janssen or post it or whatever....)

My favorite color combo right now is brown and pink (in a nursery :)

Christy said...

I Kayla. So, about 10 hits a day are me. Pathetic I know. I check my favorite blogs every time I sit down to feed Lucy-so I LOVE it when you blog more than once!

Becky said...

Cute letters Kayla!! I enjoyed reading them...I love the one to your 8 pounds best!! The joys of being prego!!!

And you are very trendy right now...everyone is doing it!! um, not literally 'IT', but ya know, getting pregnant...I guess that does mean 'IT'! OPPS!!

TheMoncurs said...

Noelle- I sent a request to Janssen to pass along my e-mail address, looking forward to reading your blog!

Christy- I don't think you're the only one! I have another breastfeeding friend who I think checks in multiple times a day. I will no longer be ashamed to post more than once a day occasionally because I know at least 2 of you appreciate it!

Becky- I think it's safe to say, considering the number of pregnancies, a very large number of people are doing it. Well, I suppose there are a few turkey baster babies in there, but still. Pretty sure most of them are getting pregnant the old fashioned way! Funner than a turkey baster any day.

Ralphie said...

What a fantastic letter idea. You might be seeing this replicated on a future post of mine, totally and completely unintentionally, of course.
To boost your confidence: (because I have been pregnant a couple of times myself and know what it's like to feel like an expanding mass of babyness) I love your hair. Very simple and beautiful. Oh, and the black maternity dress. Sooo worth being pregnant to be able to wear that little number. Anyway, just a little pat on the back. You rock the belly!

Janssen said...

Kayla, it makes me dang sad that we aren't friends in real life because we would have a good time. Perhaps you could better afford kids in Texas? :)

Nikki said...

Kayla,
My name is Nikki. I am an avid reader of your blog. I love it when you post multiple times a day because...I usually check your blog multiple times a day. My favorite color is white (so it's really a collaboration of all color). I love...you. Yeah, that's really the best thing about you. I will try to post more often but I have a hard time coming up with interesting things to blog about. (Notice the many many pictures of Belle on our blog.)But I will try.

Love, your sister.

Melody B. said...

Well, I love you Kayla, and can't tell where that "8 lbs" is either! You are a wonderful writer and I enjoy indulging in your blog each day...you're one of my "regulars"! HA! Don't feel bad about your body...I have always thought pregnant women are the CUTEST EVER! I know it's not as easy to feel that way when you go to the doctor and see that you've gained nearly 10 lbs in ONE month, but it's all for a good cause!;)

P.S. You are just at the right point to where you all of a sudden put on like 10 lbs in one dr. visit. Right around 7 months, give or take a couple of weeks, is when I put on 9 lbs in one mo! The dr. came into the room to find me sobbing. You're not alone baby!

Anonymous said...

Kayla-- I cannot believe how much your sister looks like you! I just had to mention it, very cute!!!
And it looks like you have the same camera too!
Who is older??

{ Bethany } said...

bwahaha @ "everyone doing it". You guys crack me up!

My fav color is hot pink. And yes, I'm ready to come out of hiding now!!!

Also...remember that little text box you used to have on your baby blog? For the names? Where/how did you get that? I want one...

Unknown said...

Oh Kaylala, I am pleased to know that it's not just in my Married Student ward that everyone is pregnant. I don't know how the relief society is going to handle the demand for meals over the next few months.

Also, I want to see more of these pictures Aaron keeps making you model for.

Also, also, I like the new blog colors.

AND I check your blog pretty much anytime I pick up the computer.

That is all.

Melody B. said...

A whole new look...me likey!

TheMoncurs said...

Ralphie: steal away! I do letters occasionally when I have a lot of short little things to say. It's a sneaky way to post about 20 different things at once!

Melody: The sad thing is, the fact that I could blog about those 8 pounds in a humorous way helped keep me from crying. As soon as I got over the initial shock and horror I was like, "It's ok because I needed something to blog about anyway!" And I'm glad you like the new look..it was definitely time.

Becky: I'm 14 months older than Nikki...she was a little bit of a surprise after I was born! We definitely look alike. When she comes down in the couple weeks we should get a picture of the 2 of us with our mom...we all 3 really look alike!

Nicole: I have to imagine that our poor Compassionate Service Committee is going crazy trying to provide meals for all of these pregnant woman on top of the other people who need their help! It's definitely not just your ward!

Lonica said...

Kayla,

Okay, you force me to admit that I'm a lurker. I blame my inner English teacher--it's not often that you find someone with such a clever way with words and humorous voice. I found my way to your website through my sister's and I hope you don't mind my lurking. I too enjoy your multiple posts because few other people (ie. Raquel) on my regular bloger list post very regularly.

Thanks for the many good reads,
Lonica

P.S. I recently found out that I have some lurkers on my blog too. Maybe I should call them out on it! If you ever want to see what's going on in my life check out: www.scottandlonica.com/blog. Have a great day!

Caitlin Carroll said...

Kayla,

I do love your blog. I read it often. And I do not think you are fat and if you are it's ok because you're having a real baby. Three times in South Africa people asked me if I was pregnant because I gained a few pounds... I just told them yes to feel better about myself. I love your letters, they really made me laugh even if I should be writing a paper about healthcare reform.

the friend you met once but continue to be friends with,
Caitlin