Since I got prego I've certainly been more hungry than usual, but for the past week or so, the hunger has been off the charts. You know how normal hunger goes something like this?
11:00- Getting a little hungry
11:30- Definitely looking forward to lunch
12:00- Well, I could go eat right now, but if I wait another half hour I can finish this project and not worry about it while I eat
12:30- Ok, I can go get lunch now
1:00- Sweet, sweet food.
This is how my hunger has been this week:
11:00- Getting a little hungry
11:30- OMG FEED ME NOW I'M DYYYYING!! AAAAGGGHHH PLEASE SOMEONE YOU CAN HAVE MY CHILD IF YOU GIVE ME FOOOOOD! *sob*
Then, when I drag my dizzy-with-hunger self home for lunch at 12 (ok 11:45), I eat whatever is easiest and fastest that won't draw out the agony any longer than necessary. Usually something like nachos, which takes about 30 seconds to grate the cheese and 20 seconds in the microwave and I have lunch in my mouth within a minute of walking in the door.
Today, I went home for lunch before the hunger hit that level because, I'll be honest, driving when I'm that hungry is kind of scary (the aforementioned dizziness). And I decided to make ravioli because it's really easy and doesn't take long (longer than nachos, granted, but not that long). I buy these bags of frozen ravioli from Wal Mart and they take 3 minutes to cook after the water boils, which makes them my kind of lunch.
Another thing about this raging hunger is that I tend to eat a LOT. When I say "nachos" I actually mean "3 plates of nachos. And then a Kit Kat from our left over Halloween candy. Ok 2 Kit Kats. And a Reeses." I've been eating myself SICK because I've just been so hungry. I've never known that feeling completely stuffed and still starving at the same time was possible, but it has become almost a daily feeling for me (yes, I'll mention it to my doctor. I think I'm due for a blood glucose screening anyway).
So anyway, today I had ravioli. The water boiled and I counted out 10 raviolis which is kind of a lot, but they're not really all that big, so 10 usually does the trick for me. And then, after I had drained the water and was putting them on my plate, one fell to the floor.
Not just to the floor either (which had a real good mopping this weekend, courtesy of Aaron) but to that place right at the base of our stove where the broom doesn't quite reach and where the crumbs the broom missed get pushed by the mop. The place where a few remaining cat hairs reside. The one really disgusting spot on our floor.
I almost cried.
I picked up the now rather nasty ravioli and thought about throwing it away. But I couldn't do that! I wanted that ravioli! I NEEDED that ravioli! I decided to sit it on the counter until I was done with the rest of my ravioli and if I was still REALLY hungry, I would rinse it off and eat it.
I thought about it while I ate my other nine raviolis. I stared at it while I made myself some toast. I pondered it while I ate a Kit Kat (ok fine, 2 Kit Kats). Finally, I realized after my 9 raviolis, garlic toast, and 2 Kit Kats (we're out of Reeses, unfortunately), I wasn't hungry anymore(!).
So, I threw it down the sink. I regretted it almost immediately (I don't know why, I can't explain half the things I feel lately), but I'm trying to get over it. I'm probably going to continue to mourn my lost ravioli as I go back to work. And I might mourn it until the steak dinner we have planned for tonight. But I'll probably stop there, because mourning it any longer than that is just ridiculous.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Kay. I've been lurking on your blog for a while and have to say that we must be friends because I feel the exact same way about food! Especially when pregnant. Love it. Heart. Adore your blog!
Mourning a ravioli, that might be an all time low. That's pretty funny about being starving and stuffed all at the same time--- I do that everytime I eat. I need to slow down, but I just can't. I'm glad to hear others have this same problem!
Rolling on the floor! I'm glad you threw it away though...did you really?;) That happens to me with my love affair with Mauna Loa milk choc. mac. nuts! They are my weakness...beyond weakness! One day while I was pregnant (I don't even have to BE prego for this to happen) Cole grabbed the bag and stuck his hand in to get a few to eat. When he caught my glance/scowl he took his hand out (afraid for his life) and made fun of me for not sharing. You want to talk about "if looks could kill". I'm not sure but I think like vampire fangs must have flashed at him or something when he tried to steal a few because although he teased me...HE PUT THEM BACK!:P
Melody, I do the same thing with Aaron when he even THINKS about touching my macaroni and cheese. NEVER TOUCH A PREGNANT WOMAN'S MAC AND CHEESE!
Post a Comment