So we're pretty much out of food at our house. This happens a lot as we both loathe grocery shopping and put it off until we're eating ramen for all three meals every day for a week. This morning I had NOTHING to eat for breakfast. No cereal, no bread for toast, no waffles, no nothing. I ended up scraping the bottom of the Bisquick box and throwing the last few drops of the milk on there (supplementing with water because the recipe called for 1/2c milk and we had about...1/8c) and making myself some half hearted biscuits. They were ok. Really, there were only palatable because I drenched them in butter and cinnamon and sugar. But they were food and the baby doesn't discriminate.
And I still don't think we're going to make it to the grocery store today.
Bread, though, is something I mostly live off of. And when we're out, things get sticky. So I decided to try Janssen's recipe for homemade honey wheat bread since I had all the ingredients on hand without having to go shopping. Usually I use my bread machine when I make bread at home, but the recipe didn't sound too difficult, so I gave it a try.
Ya. It didn't rise. At all. Not on the counter under a cloth. Not in the partially heated oven. Not. one. smidge.
I baked it anyway (why not?).
It's kind of like...the densest bread type material ever. The TASTE isn't half bad..pretty much what wheat bread should taste like. The TEXTURE, however, is another story. I'm eating it anyway. Because, like I said, we have no food.
I kind of want to just start this weekend over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
What kind of bread do you like? Bread is a tricky thing...certain breads are like, "why bother eating it...it scuks!" But then with other breads it's like, "Manna from the Heavens!"
i once made a meal out of ketchup, old macaronni and cheese the one where i used the bag on the last one to make macaronni with cheese double cheese so i really didnt have any cheese powder, salt, some sausage grease left over fom my roomates breakfast,and a garbage can. the garbage can came in handy before i ate it, not after!
devon
ps sure miss youguys!
Yikes! I can't imagine why it didn't rise - too weird. This is one time that I might have been preferred not to be linked to :)
Melody-I'm all about the wheat bread. And any bread with butter, cinnamon and sugar on it.
Devon-We miss you too! And that dinner sounds..amazing.
Janssen-I'm positive it was the monkey, not the recipe. Your recipe is probably fantastic! I have never had very good luck with breads made outside the bread machine. I should probably take a class and figure out what it is that I keep doing wrong!
I'm pretty sure I tried making bread once and it didn't rise at all either. It's just the Peterson touch. I vaguely remember Michelle saying something about old yeast but I might be making that up.
Go to the grocery store already! I think it would have been easier than making bread. :)
How was the concert?
Oh, I absolutely love grocery shopping. I have to restrain myself from going more often than needed. Once, I spent three therapeutic hours at Smith's in the middle of the night when I was upset and spent 2 dollars.
don't feel bad, sometimes I cant even get the frozen dough to rise. I was going to attempt making rolls today, but kent said he take me out for dinner, that sounds much better!!
Caitlin- only you man, only you. What do you DO? Read the packaging on everything?
Becky-I actually used frozen dough for the FIRST TIME ever last week and it rose beautifully while I was at work. I was really, really proud. Even though all I did was take it out of the package. And going out to dinner sounds good to me! What a nice hubby :)
Post a Comment