Sunday, November 11, 2007

NaBloPoMo Day 11: Sundays are Hard

NaBloPoMo is only difficult on the weekends. During the week I'm always thinking, "I can blog about this! Oh, and there was that one story I wanted to write about! And then I can write about this other thing!" and then for some reason on the weekends the creativity just shuts down. I got nothin'. No pictures. No stories. No rants. So, again, I turn to googling for blog inspiration.

And the winner is: Write about how you sleep.

I chose this prompt because a. it was one of the first things I ran across that I hadn't already covered, and b. we recently discovered a solution to one of our sleeping issues and I'm feeling quite happy with our current sleeping arrangement.

If you're looking from the foot of our bed, I sleep on the left and Aaron sleeps on the right. When sleeping elsewhere on vacation or whatever, we usually switch. I'm not sure why that is, but I chose my side of the bed because it's by the window and away from the door. I want Aaron between me and an intruder. Unfortunately, the one time we actually did have an intruder (hey now, THAT'S something I could blog about) I was the one who was coherent enough to figure out what was going on. I practically had to beat Aaron to wakefulness to get him to handle the situation. This does not bode well for me if any murderers enter our house.

When I sleep, I burrito. Even when it's hot, I need to be able to wrap, drape, and roll in my covers. I don't like when my skin touches itself when I sleep (I don't know either), so I use my comforter to keep my legs/arms/whatever apart. When it's hot, I make up for it by hanging my feet and legs out. When I sleep, it usually looks something like this:
Believe it or not, that's not a real picture. I DREW that puppy.

(And ya, I'm a sprawler. You don't want to share a bed with me. Ask my sister. Vacations were torture for her growing up.)

Anyway, I can't handle hotels with those crappy thin covers. You can't burrito in those things! And even if you could, would you want to? Gross. I usually end up asking for an extra blanket to help me get comfy.

And so, it's pretty obvious why getting married would make sleeping difficult for me. Aaron wants some of the covers for himself. I know, how could he BE so selfish?

So, after much covers tug-of-war over the past 2ish years, we came up with a brilliant solution.

We now have TWO comforters.

For some reason, I owned 3 comforters when we got married. The nice one is on the guest bed in the nursery and the other 2 were hanging out in our linen closet. One of which was my beloved high school comforter that burritos like no other. In fact, I believe it was that comforter that taught me to burrito in the first place. So, when the temperature dropped below 100 we left the king size comforter in the closet and opted for 2 smaller comforters. We sleep (or I sleep, not sure Aaron noticed much of a difference) MUCH better. And now I don't have to feel guilty about the fact that we never make the bed because how would you even make up a king size bed with one twin sized floral and one full sized blue jersey comforter anyway?

Aaron sleeps with the floral, by the way. He's very secure in his manliness. I like that about him.

So now, I happily burrito on the left side of the bed in my blue comforter and Aaron snores away under his floral on the right side and there's no more 2am jerking of covers except sometimes when I sleepily decide I want his covers too.

Don't get me started on trying to sleep pregnant, by the way. What idiot decided, "Hey, ya know what? Pregnant women are already really uncomfortable most of the time...let's tell them they should only sleep on their left side! They won't mind." Hate that guy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I vote that your hair is the best part of that drawing.

Also, your burrito-ing habits aren't that weird. I know, I've seen them.

Speaking of burritos, a couple of girls in my ward and I like to call the babies that are all wrapped up in their blankets with only their heads showing, "baby burritos." Check it out next time you're in church.

Nikki said...

speaking of baby burritos...Sam and I saw a couple at church a few weeks ago with a baby that was wrapped up more tightly in a blanket (and neatly!) than I have ever seen before. The thing couldn't move. I called it a burrito. :) It was perfect.

Melody B. said...

"Burrito" that makes me laugh. Cole sleeps with a quilt that I made him and I sleep with our comforter...so I feel ya on that...it's much better! We all laugh at those show in the 1950's where they slept in separate beds, now I'm like..."they were so smart!" I love to sprawl too. I started sleeping with a body pillow when I was pregnant (do you have one?) and can't stop now.