Monday, November 30, 2009

NaNoWriMo Fail/Win

Word count: 46,782

To technically "win" at NaNoWriMo you have to write 50,000 words.

I am not going to write 50,000 words. Which means I've failed.

However, I don't feel at all like I've failed. Tonight I wrote the ending to my story. I was tired of trying to push my word count just for the sake of hitting an arbitrary goal number. I kept trying but it ended up that I'd write three sentences and then delete them because I didn't like the direction they were sending my story. So I gave myself permission to just write until my story was over. I love the way it went, I love that I didn't have to force any more into it, and I'm so happy with my ending. I feel like I've won. Because, hi, I wrote a BOOK this month. Who cares if it's 3200 words short of my NaNoWriMo certificate of achievement?

I'M DONE.


A lot of people have asked what I'm planning on doing with my story and if they can read it. The tentative plan is as follows:

1. Take a break
2. Massive rewrites
3. Edit until I want to burn my computer and then smash it with a hammer
4. Have Janssen read it since she's the leading expert on YA fiction*

At this point, it could go several ways. If Janssen says it's a nice story but nothing special I'll probably just make it available to whoever wants to read it. However, if Janssen thinks it has potential then I'm going to work on it a bunch more and maybe hopefully possibly someday submit it to be published? And if it gets rejected like 50 million times then I'll know Janssen was just being nice and my story is actually not all that great and then I'll make it available to whoever wants to read it. But! Who knows? Maybe it will get made into actual book form, in which case you'll still get to read it if you want. So no matter what, it will likely end up out there for you to read in some way or another if you wish.

But that's a long way off. I've mentioned several times how horrible my writing was this month and I'm looking forward to a massive overhaul. Plus some major changes to the plot that have come to me as I've been finishing up that I think would make the whole thing better. I have a lot of work to do, but I'm actually looking forward to getting back to it after the holidays.

Key words there being: after the holidays. Tata for now, Bookie Pie!

*out of people that I know

4 comments:

Caitlin Carroll said...

Good enough. Tim added in some essays he had written for school to push his word count, so there are some random "Andrew Carnegie" biographies in his novel. You should feel good about it though! I want to read it!

Janssen said...

Another Lorelai running down the street singing moment.

Kristy said...

Congrats on finishing. I say you won. And a book and a coat in one month. Whoa. Productive.

Lauren said...

I'd love to read it. I'm a great editor.