Monday, November 16, 2009

NaNoWriMo Report: Day Sixteen

Not writing tonight. Too exhausted. Spent the day in full on nesting "MUST. CLEAN. HOUSE." mode. My house is spotless. All of our clothes, sheets, comforters, pillowcases, towels, and bathmats are clean. The toilets, counters, cupboards, and floors are sparkling. I made dinner and dessert for a group FHE. I have nothing left to give tonight. I'll be lucky if I actually make it to the bed instead of just falling to the floor and passing out where I land.

However, because a whole bunch of people offered to share their lovely geographical knowledge, I need to know what the following states/areas look like:

Northern Idaho
Southern Montana
North Dakota
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New Jersey

Been there? Lived there? I'd love to hear about the scenery. Also, do you know what the weather is like in the late spring/early summer? Cause I'd love to hear about that too.

And, because I love you all/am too tired to switch over to posting on the baby blog just now, a rather dark 17.5 week belly pic:

I found I was physically incapable of not making stupid faces while trying to get the iPhone to point in the right direction, so I just ran with it. Anyway, I'm huge. I have to pee all the time already, which I swear didn't happen until like 30 weeks with Wes. I get out of breath walking from the fridge to the couch. But I'm not puking anymore, which is why I am able to participate in NaNoWriMo this year. I think the cessation of the nausea was a sign. Baby 2 WANTS me to write this book. So thank you, Baby 2, for your support. I apologize for giving one of your potential names to a character.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I have been to both Idaho and Montana. Idaho was when I was like 14 so I kinda remember, it was just a lot of farm land and green. And Montana is gorgeous! So lush and green! We tried to go water skiing once and the water was freezing!!

Unknown said...

Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
Pennsylvania

We recently crossed over all of these areas, although I've only been through them at the end of summer/beginning of fall. I can let you know what it's like in spring/summer in a couple of months...but I hear that the spring can be a little dreary, and so the coming of summer is pretty fantastic.

Anyway, coming into Illinois from the middle of the country is a breath of fresh air. You go from totally flat, monotone landscape (apologies to anyone who loves Kansas etc.) In the mornings, there's often a thin fog that sort of snakes between the hills and it gives everything a somewhat mystical feeling. Also, everything is GREEN. Seriously--all year long, it just gets slightly different shades of green. They mow the meridians here, because grass just grows--no one waters their lawns, because there's no reason to. Things are really spaced out, compared to places like Utah or Mesa--we live on an acre of land here in PA, and that's not unusual for the more rural towns. For the cities things are more like a Provo (Unless you're talking about Philadelphia), but there are lots of rolling hills that are covered in trees and the towns sort of surprise you when the pop up along the highways. You'll be driving, and come over a hill, and suddenly, in a little valley, there's a city, and then, you go over another little hill, and it's farmland, trees, and only the occasional sign of civilization again.

So, this is super long. Let me know if you want more details. :)

Kimberly said...

My brother is a white water rafting guide in Idaho, so I only know the part next to the Salmon river, but it's awesome. For starters, the mountains are brown (like our AZ mountains). In the spring they are still covered in grass and trees, but by summer the grasses have died and they are brown. At the base of the mountains in something like Payson, AZ. There are pine trees, but it's also pretty dry. The river itself is anything from dark blue to teal to green depending on the year, and the beaches are white sand. I was expecting rock beaches or mud, but it's nothing but clean white sand. There are also a handful of lakes in the area that could be good stopping points. If you decide you like the river idea, check out salmonriverphotos.com for pictures of the river, the landscape, and some wildlife in the area. Oh, also! In the late summer (probably no good since it's on the early end of your trip) wild huckleberries grow everywhere. I guess they're still there in spring, but they wouldn't be good to eat.

I've also been to Ohio, and the most potent memories I had were of grass growing along the side of the road, unplanted no less!, and bugs eating me alive.

Kimberly said...

Oh, and the picture link I gave you is around Riggins, ID in case you want to consult a map.