Friday, November 27, 2009

Sew Sew

Once upon a time there was this darling asymmetrical zip jacket on the babyGap website. It was, of course, ridiculously expensive for something that would only be worn by my child like 6 times over the course of our mild Arizona winter before he outgrew it. So I waited for it to go on sale but it kind of never did and then it was just gone.

So, I made my own.

It was my first foray into pattern making.


...And zippers...

...and lining.


Some of it's a little wonky because I initially made the pattern waaaay too big (note to self, use things that actually FIT your child when looking for something to trace for a pattern) and that caused problems later when I was trying to size it back down but mostly? It turned out awesome.

And my little monster (who finally finally FINALLY called me "mommy" today for the first time ever) looks dang handsome in it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow--that is really, ridiculously awesome. Someday, when I grow up, I want to have your sewing skills.

theFinn said...

THAT was your first try at pattern making? Sigh. All of mine have been far inferior.

Celia said...

I can't believe you made this. I am truly inspired.

Caitlin Carroll said...

I just got a sewing machine, so please send your made-up patterns my way.

Margot said...

Wow, that's amazing. I can't imagine sewing anything with a pattern and having it turn out that well, let alone making the pattern myself. I'm truly impressed.