Word count: 9257
Today, in an effort to get the romance ball rolling, I had to introduce a hypothermic character, body heat, and a sleeping bag. Oh ya, I went there. Fellow X-Files fans should be proud (although, I did eschew the nudity. She pulled off her sweater before climbing in but come on, I have my standards) (um, she was wearing something under the sweater, FYI).
Writing continues to get easier. I had some serious focus today. The more I write the more my story just kind of pours out of me. Apparently one of my characters has the middle name of Francis, by the way. Weird how that just happens.
I do shudder at the hideousness of my writing. Several articles on the NaNoWriMo site said that November is for just getting your story down. December is for editing, so turn off your inner editor and just write, otherwise you'll never finish. After the first day I got pretty good at just...writing. No editing, no worrying about how to turn a particular phrase, I'm just trying to get my story out and on paper. As a result, everything I go back and read makes me cringe. Oh the cliches! Oh the mangling of the English language! And did I mention the cliches? Because holy cow, the cliches.
However, the basic story is there and it's moving and I'm really happy with the way it's going. December and January will likely be filled with massive rewrites, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. For now I'm just going to celebrate the fact that I'll be crossing the 10,000 word mark tomorrow and that is no small feat.
Go me!
Tuesday, November 03, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
Um, I love you? That made me giggle. I had to read it out loud to Celia (yeah, we're two married women who hang out at 3 AM). We both LOVE the episode you're referring to.
Becca, I'm fairly certain you are the only person who will appreciate the sleeping bag bit. Which is why I keep you around.
Sounds like you're doing well. It's nice having you writing too because Cait doesn't think it's so nerdy if her cool blogging friends do it too. I'm nonoing for my third year now and this year it is taking over my life.
Good luck, and I'm runningb over on that web site if you want to be noveling buddies.
Can I just say. I think it's so cool you're doing this and I'm excited to read about the progression. If I didn't have a newborn at home and a husband currently working very long hours, I think I would join in. Writing a novel is on my bucket list, and I'm in my thirties already, so I think it's time to get cracking! (Maybe next year?)
Becca and I delighted in your post. We both agree that hypothermia is a most amazing scenario for love to blossom. X-Files- thanks for being awesome.
Post a Comment