Wednesday, November 04, 2009

NaNoWriMo Report: Day Four

Word count: 12,063

Today's writing was not blessed by the inspiration fairy. We've had a ridiculously busy couple of days (you should see our Google calendar from yesterday. It was almost completely blocked out) and by the time I sat down to write tonight I was feeling it. I was exhausted. My neck and back were killing me (sitting down to type for hours at a time has likely not helped) and any time I paused in my writing my mind would go to my to-do list for tomorrow. I almost completely stalled after only 800 words. After 3 3,000 word days in a row, it was a little disappointing and I was debating throwing in the towel.

Finally, after a couple Tylenol and a piece of toast I found my groove and was able to plunk out another 2000 words.

I've realized that dialogue is really hard to write. It's difficult to make sure the dialogue sounds natural and that each character has their own unique voice and doesn't just sound like me. I'm going to have to spend a lot of time in December thinking about each character's voice and then rewriting their dialogue. I'm becoming more and more grateful for my strong silent type character who has had like 3 lines total. Bless him!

2 comments:

Isabel said...

I can hardly find the time to use the bathroom....let alone write 2000 words.

I'm impressed!

Bart said...

I'm becoming more and more grateful for my strong silent type character who has had like 3 lines total. Bless him!

That's funny stuff.