Sunday, November 15, 2009

NaNoWriMo Report: Days Fourteen and Fifteen

Word count: 33,023

I didn't write AGAIN on day 14. That was FOUR days this week I did not write a word. However, I did devote some serious time that day to brainstorming and trying to figure out what needed to happen in the second half of my story. My characters are traveling from Seattle to New York on foot which is like fiveish months of just...walking. And I was feeling really stuck on that. I knew what I wanted to happen once they finally GOT to New York, but I also knew I couldn't just say, "And then they walked for five months and got to New York and this is what happened." I had to sit down and figure out some sort of exciting action type things to happen along the way. I was able to come up with some ideas that should hopefully keep me going until I can get them to their destination.

Some of those ideas involve the romance between my two main characters which I have basically ignored since my triumphant kissing scene like 20,000 words ago.

Anyway, today the writing came much easier after my brainstorm. I did, however, spend a LOT of time on Google Map Pedometer figuring out the basic route my characters are taking and trying to figure out how much they could probably walk in a day* and oh my gosh it is SO HARD walking fictional people through places you yourself have never been. I am refraining from describing the landscape because how would I know what the middle of Montana looks like?? Am seriously considering hopping a plane to Seattle, renting a car, and then driving to New York, taking extensive notes and copious pictures along the way for research purposes.

*Assuming these are people who are traveling pretty light, are in peak physical condition, are nomadic in lifestyle anyway and used to lots and lots of hiking, and they walk pretty much from sun up to sun down, is 15-20 miles a day unreasonable? Keep in mind they are not using paved roads or anything, pretty much just hiking through the wilderness.

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

I don't think that's unreasonable for most days although weather and such would make some days much less. Of course, I'm no expert. I bet if you polled your blog readers you could get decent descriptions of a few places. I can do Northern Idaho, for instance...

Lonica said...

That sounds like my kind of research! I would think that 15-20 miles would be a lot. Maybe some days they could do that, but I would imagine not every day. I just think that it's 11 miles from the start of Havasupi to the end, and that completely wears me out. I'm caring a pack, hiking on dirt trails, and exhausted by the end. But I'm also not in peak physical condition or accustomed to a nomadic lifestyle. It also only takes about 5 to 6 hours. Anyway, that's my perspective...

Lonica said...

P.S. I know what Ohio looks like, if you're going through there... (and for that matter, Indiana, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania aren't much different...I could probably have a go at those as well...)

theFinn said...

If they are traveling through mountainous regions, it would probably have to be less. My husband does a 12-mile hike with his dad and brother sometimes. They are in pretty good shape, travel light, and go on established trails, and they are still pretty much dead by the time they finish. It takes a full day. Plus, in winter, sun-up to sundown is waaaaay shorter than it would be in the summer.

theFinn said...

P.S. I once drove from Connecticut to Utah, so I've been through Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio,Pennsylvania, and New York.

Austin said...

I once walked around the edge of an entire island (which totaled about 20 miles... maybe a little less) on the beach. It took my friend and I only like 12 hours. We were only like 17 or so, and fine physically... soooooo, i would say that 15-20 miles a day sounds perfect.