Sunday, November 01, 2009

NaNoWriMo Report: Day One

Today I wrote 3,041 words of my novel. To write 50,000 words in 30 days I need to write an average of 1,667 words a day so I'm a smidge ahead of the game. It's really nice feeling to know I have a slight cushion tomorrow.

As I was gearing up for NaNoWriMo I read a bunch of the blog posts and articles on the website and several people mentioned that part of the fun of writing a novel is that your characters often go and do unexpected things. And I was like, "How do they just go off and do unexpected stuff? You're the writer. You're in control. It's coming out of your head!" Except then I was writing today and it turns out one of my minor characters is hopelessly in love with one of my other minor characters in an unrequited sort of way and I was like, "Huh. Who knew?" and I swear that part just wrote itself and I had nothing to do with it. Except now that it's written I love it because you wouldn't expect that character to be all devoted to someone but he is and it's sweet and I like that it added something to an otherwise fairly quiet character. He needed that bit of development and I had no idea.

And then I wrote a scene where a bunch of my characters fell asleep around a campfire and felt a sudden overwhelming urge to go to bed. It was kind of weird.

Also, the parts that I thought would be easy to write turned out to be the hardest.

I still have a long looong way to go but it feels good to have started! I even know what I'm going to be writing tomorrow and I'm excited to get to it.

I know there are a few fellow NaNoWriMoers out there..how'd you do today??

6 comments:

Janssen said...

You almost convince me to want to write a book. But, I have no good ideas :)

Can't wait to read the finished product.

Kimberly said...

Apparently Henrik Ibsen said he got ideas by imagining two characters were stuck on a train ride together and then letting them tell the story. Surely if so many writers say their characters take over, that must be how it happens (although I always thought it was a bit weird, too!).

angela hardison said...

So awesome. Can't wait.

My sister is doing the NaNoWriMo as well... I'm sending her a link to your blog so you should keep writing about your experience :)

(this is her:
http://rachelandcompany.blogspot.com/)

Rachel+Co said...

Hello there. I am the aforementioned sister of Angela. Just read your post here and wanted to wish you good luck! I started my writing today.

My goal is 2,000 words a day (and giving myself a break one day during the week). So far, so good. 2600 words today and it was easy. We'll see if I can keep it up.

If you want to be my buddy over there I am citron press.

TheMoncurs said...

Rachel- I'm glad to have a buddy! Especially since I didn't even know I could have buddies on the site. I'm excited to hear more about your novel! I love your working title. My word doc is currently titled "50k or Bust" and that's about as creative as I've gotten, title-wise.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I'm totally behind. I got distracted and didn't write at all yesterday...but just you wait!