Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Stuff I Want

I must be bored..I'm about to blog about clothes.

I get $75 each month as an allowance to do whatever I want with. Which usually means clothing, because, despite the fact that I am constantly getting new stuff, I never actually have anything to wear. It's one of the great mysteries of my life.

So, as the end of each month rolls around I start shopping around for the stuff I want to get in the new month. Since I actually sweated while driving around today my thoughts turned toward swimsuits. I'm still probably a couple months away from buying one, but I like to start looking early so I end up with one I really love instead of one that I got out of necessity (which is exactly what happened last year, come to think of it).

If I hadn't just, ya know, had a baby who threw my body into turmoil (and also, if I wore bikinis), I would be wanting this:

I love the shorts..so much more flattering on me than higher cut bottoms. And I love blue and white stripes..so very Kayla. It's unfortunate that the tankini top that matches is kind of meh.

I would buy this one in a heartbeat:

But, alas, I don't have $150 to spend on a swimsuit (seriously? Do people really spend that much on swimwear??)

I am also loving this one:
So wonderfully retro! But..I worry about the cut of the leg. It has the potential to make my legs look massive. And my hips and thighs are where most of the residual baby weight is hanging out. It could be disastrous and not just a little bit frightening.

Also, I keep going back to this dress:

I stared it down last month too. Cute? Not cute? Too teenager for a mom(!) or anyone over the age of 17? It's just..I think I might love it. I don't even know why.

I also want this dress SO BAD:

It's everything I want in a dress, but I already have a really great dress in this exact color. So it's kind of like, do I really need 2 red dresses? Especially since red isn't a particularly flattering color on me? I really don't know. So I just keep going to the site to stare at it.


Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure this month's allowance is going to be spent on jeans (yawn. But, a necessity). I have 2 pairs that fit well (no clue where the other ones went...I swear I had more jeans pre pregnancy). One pair is my super comfy hole-y pair and one pair I wear when I need to wear jeans that don't have gaping knee holes. But this afternoon the right knee in my "nice" pair gave up the ghost and I am now without a decent pair of jeans.

American Eagle jeans are tried and true for me, so I've been eyeballing this pair:

Nice dark wash, boot cut, a little stretch. On sale for $30! Which leaves room for another purchase or 2. Maybe the grey dress...

9 comments:

Sherry said...

I LOVE and adore the red dress.

The white dress? Not loving it, and I do think it's a little too teenager-y.

TheMoncurs said...

I think you're right. Not so sure I could pull that off as a 23 year old mom. Sigh. I am old.

Becky said...

I like the black suit and red dress tons!! There is the BEST swimsuit store at AZ Mills, I can't remember the name, but I got this $80 swimsuit I'd wanted for over a year there for $35. I love clothes too, esp. after being FAT for 9 months...!! It will slowly come off.

There is the CUTEST store called Blossom on Main St. in downtown Mesa- they have AWESOME clothes. Tiffany Arnett has several things from there-- and it's inexpensive, you should check it out. I'll go with you, if you sometime!!

YOU are not old!!! I am but I'll NEVER dress it!

Janssen said...

I totally love that grey dress too, but I'd also worry that it might be too "I still think I'm in high school." Alas. Also, maybe too short? I can't tell.

Swimsuits are hard. I got a great new one for my birthday last year, though, which I still haven't worn, but I can't wait too.

Melody B. said...

Love the red dress, and the jeans. But, I am a jeans and t-shirt kind of gal! I'm likin' that pair of jeans too, hmmm..I may take a trip to good 'ol AE too, do ya mind if I get the same pair?:P

P.S. Yeah, your thighs massive...whatever!

TheMoncurs said...

Haha Melody, I don't think anyone would notice if we had the same pair of jeans. Knock yourself out.

Lonica said...

Like you, I also have a monthly clothing budget (alas, it's only 50 dollars--can you talk to Scott about that for me?). I have a really hard time finding swimsuits. I've found that "What Women Want Swimwear" (in Tempe) is a great place to shop, particularly if you're looking for a suit that is sized by bra size (which is the only type of suits I can find that fit). Good luck find two of the hardest clothing items (swimsuits and jeans)!

The Elms said...

Target has some cute suits this year -which could leave some room for other purchases. I think I'm going to do that this year since buying a swimsuit after having a baby is pretty depressing (for me)- not into spending lots of money in hopes I get skinnier. Love the jeans, the reddish suit and the white dress. I would wear the white dress and I'm almost 30.... come on.

Vivian said...

Kayla, have you tried the lds swimsuit collections? I have a friend that sells shade clothing and she told me the spring line comes march 1st with the new swimsuits. Also try this website, https://charmain.mymodbe.com they have the tops for 48 and the bottoms are 26.They also have skirts.They are not as nice as the victoria secrets ones though.I got that blue one and it's cute.
By the way, I am 29 and I'll wear that white dress... youth is on the inside, right?
Vivian