Saturday, February 23, 2008

A Saturday Afternoon Walk

The weather today was amazing. It was one of those days where you walk out your front door and feel the sun on your skin and think about how you can't possible do enough outside that day to take advantage of the glorious weather. We had a pretty full schedule ahead of us, but we found some time to take a short walk around the neighborhood this morning.

Fortunately, I found the point and shoot right before we left (it has been MIA for a few weeks and the good camera is kind of large and not really conducive to picture taking on leisurely walks) and was able to snap pictures of a few of the things I've been noticing around the neighborhood lately.

There's this house:

Which looks like an ordinary house except for...

the large hide drying in their backyard.

It has been there for a while and I've always wondered what kind of people would be drying animal skin on their back patio. And then today as we were walking by there was honest-to-goodness native american type music playing. Like with chanting and drums and everything. There were a bunch of cars parked out front, so we're pretty sure they were having a pow wow. Because there is no other explanation.

Then, there's this guy:

Whom I have affectionately dubbed The Horse That Looks Like a Cow. I love him. I drove by a while back and saw him out of the corner of my eye and thought, "Hey! Someone in our neighborhood has a cow!" But then I looked again and NO! It's a horse! That looks like a cow! And since I am inexplicably afraid of cows, this was good news.

Aaron introducing Wes to The Horse That Looks Like a Cow. Neither Wes nor The Horse That Looks Like a Cow cared one bit about each other. They were too busy sleeping (Wes) and grazing (THTLLaC).

Wes slept through the entire walk, which is a good thing because I dropped his binkie in the gutter approximately 30 seconds after we walked out the front door and was dreading him waking up and requiring immediate pacification.


All in all, a lovely day. Aaron had a consultation this afternoon for a wedding that DMPhoto is going to be shooting next weekend, which is really exciting. The wedding itself sounds like a very fun, laid back affair (they are encouraging guests to wear shorts and tank tops and she plans on changing out of her dress the minute the cake cutting is over so she can party it up at their Tia Rosa reception). It's a small job, but hopefully it'll start leading them toward some bigger ones. I'm so glad that Aaron is getting to make a little money on the side doing something he loves so much!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Um, how close is that 'hide' house to us?!!! That is scary!! I love that horse, we saw him out this afternoon too, usually those horses 'attack' when you walk up, looking for food. Funny he didn't even care. And congrats on the wedding job, Aaron wil do awesome, I love his photos.

TheMoncurs said...

Haha the house with the hide is a few houses down from Joan (going toward Harris). So not super close, but not super far either.