Every year when Valentine's Day rolls around I can't help but think about my worst Valentine's Day ever. I was 17 and single and I was all about celebrating Single's Awareness Day that year and decided to wear all black. Kind of overly dramatic, but ya know. That's 17 for ya.
Anyway, I got a single present that year. It was a beautiful bracelet from my mom that she gave me the week before. I lost it before the day even rolled around. This was more than slightly depressing.
On the day of, I took my black-clad bracelet-less self to a movie. When I was in high school I was all about going to movies by myself (I still probably would be if I had the cash) and I wanted to go see The Count of Monte Cristo again.
A few minutes into the movie I noticed that someone a few rows behind me was muttering. The theater wasn't particularly full and we were all kind of looking around to see who was making the noise. It increased in volume as the movie went on.
I even remember the part of the movie where I figured out what he was saying. It was after Edmond was taken and Mercedes gets a letter saying he has been executed and Fernand comes to comfort her.
As Mercedes was running down to the street into Fernand's arms I realized that the guy behind me was threatening to kill us all.
Lovely.
I was near the back of the theater and closest to the guy and I could tell the people in the rows ahead of me were starting to get uncomfortable. A few got up to leave, much to the chagrin of the guy who started to yell at them as they left the theater.
When the guy started counting down to when he was going to kill us I decided that it was probably time for me to get out of there. I gathered my stuff as quietly as possible.
And then I ran. I bolted down the stairs and out of the theater. I was totally braced for a bullet in the back as the guy screamed at me to get back to my seat so he could kill me.
But I made it out just fine and ran straight into the waiting arms of some police officers who were on their way in. I didn't stick around to find out if the guy was armed or just crazy. I got a refund for my ticket and went straight home.
It's kind of nice to know that I probably hit rock bottom with that one. All of my Valentine's Days from then on have to be better than that!
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





10 comments:
I LOVE that you had the presence of mind to get a refund for your ticket!
Nothing says "I love you" on Valentines Day like, "would you like a bullet to the head?" What a psycho guy! After 911 he's got a lot of (you know whats) saying that in a public place like that. At least Aaron gets to reap the benefits of NEVER being associated with your worst Valentines Day ever.
DUDE What a psycho. I'm so glad that you made it out alive.
That's pretty crazy and scary, but hey - it makes for a good story.
p.s. About your last post... Clint & I are slightly addicted to Golden Spoon. It's so close to our new house, and right next door to our gym. Perfect, huh? Burn some calories and walk on over to eat them up again. Ha. I wish I was joking..
Creepy! Was it at the Stapley AMC? I always feel like I'm walking a gauntlet of weirdos to get in there... Betty luck this V-Day.
Yup, good old AMC. It has been dead to me since the new theater on Dobson opened though. Lower prices and fewer freaks? Sign me up.
Priceless. And ditto Becca's remark on the refund. I totally would have done that too :)
Oh my goodness, you SERIOUSLY have the BEST stories of anyone I know! I can't believe that happened to you...that would haunt me. He must have been pretty bitter towards someone. I'm glad you got out safely!!!!
this was def a "read-outloud-to-andre-post" holy crap!!!!!!
Wow, yeah, it would be pretty hard to bottom out past that little adventure. Glad you're alive and here to tell the tale.
Post a Comment