Forgive the wrinkles. This was after Jones had slept in and spit up all over it.
It was a sewing kind of weekend. I've been feeling the itch for a while but I haven't had the time to sit down at my sewing machine since before Jones was born.
I just sat down and cranked out a bunch of these gowns from old t-shirts and fabric I already had in my stash (I bound the edges instead of hemming them though...my hemming rarely turns out pretty). I LOVE newborn gowns. Someone (my aunt, I think?) gave us a couple for Wes when he was born. They were sized 0-3 months but we squeezed him into them until he was like 8 months old (they are really forgiving and he was pretty small). They are just so sweet and soft with no waistbands digging into round little tummies. Plus, easy diaper access.
I only meant to sew gifts for other people (some of them turned out ridiculously cute but I can't show you because a couple recipients read my blog) but when this one came together I decided I had to keep it.
The gray stripe is a super lightweight and ridiculously soft stretchy fabric I bought for myself a few months ago. I used it to make myself this maternity wrap top but bought tons of extra because I loved it so much (bought everything they had, actually). The binding came from the scraps of a Downeast Basics shirt I ruined while pregnant (the rest went into another gown). I love it so much I spent most of the weekend washing it, putting it on Jones, watching sadly as he spit up all over it then washing it again. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Can I just say how proud I am of how far my sewing has come in the last 6 months?? I wouldn't have even attempted this project last year, much less produced anything I felt comfortable giving as a gift. I'd like to thank the internet for being such a lovely teacher. There are so many wonderful tutorials out there that leave me feeling like, "Hey..I can do that!" and then I do it. And it's awesome.
Happy Monday!








3 comments:
Kayla, you astonish me. Almost thou persuadest me to get a sewing machine.
hey, i just wanted to tell you that you've given me so much good information since i randomly came across your blog one day (from design mom maybe?). maternity jeans from jc penney, freezer meals, and now this t-shirt gown. sweet. thanks, for real.
I have become such a stripes fanatic since I got pregnant. Who knows how that happened?
Post a Comment