Our power finally came back on at 5:30 this morning (apologies for my rambling middle-of-the-night posting. It was hot and I was bored. And so very annoyed). It seems like most of our food survived and I was really the only one who couldn't sleep, so we're ok.
Here are things I learned:
1. Having no power makes things way too quiet. We usually have fans and the A/C and whatever else going and without power it was deathly silent. Like I was worried the sound of me brushing my teeth after I got back from running was going to wake everyone up. And I can't usually hear the normal house settling sounds at night and I was totally sure all the creakings and whatnots meant someone was coming to murder us in our beds.
2. Having no power is the most boring thing ever. When the power first went out I cut out some fabric. And then I cleaned my kitchen. And then I had nothing left to do. And when it's nighttime and there are no lights it only gets worse. Aaron went to bed HOURS earlier than he has in ages.
3. Having no power means we starve. The only thing I could come up with to feed my family was crackers and peanut butter (and string cheese, but we were trying to avoid opening the fridge). It's a good thing my parents were willing to feed us dinner.
4. Having no power means we pee in the dark. Both our bathrooms are rather cave-like and it was kind of annoying having to locate a candle and a lighter or a flashlight to use the bathroom in the DAYTIME.
I'm feeling a lot more appreciative today. I was able to cook! And open the garage door! And keep my children from baking to death in their beds during naptime! So that was nice.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
i hate being without power. while in california this weekend, we lost power twice (and! earthquakes!) for a few hours at a time. i was whining about having to wash my face/brush my teeth/get ready for bed in the dark, amongst other things. AND it wasn't even hot at all.
I was frustrated and our power was only out for two hours. I didn't even think about not being able to open the garage door. I would have been going crazy.
I hate the buzzing in my ears when the power goes out. We lose it about once or twice a week, always on the hottest days when everyone is running their A/C. I recommend taking a cold shower in all of your clothes and hopping into bed that way. I can't sleep hot at all and I've found this to be helpful. But, god-willing, you won't experience a power outage again. Why did it go out in the first place?
Post a Comment