Tuesday, June 01, 2010
This Causes Me Physical Pain
My greatest fear is that improper apostrophe usage will become so widespread that the Great English Powers will be like, "Eh, let's just say it's acceptable to put an apostrophe anywhere since no one seems to be able to figure it out anyway." And all of a sudden my title could be, "This Cause's Me Physical Pain" and that will be correct.
THIS IS NOT OK, PEOPLE.
And yes, I took a picture of a sign at the gas station with my iPhone. Let's not talk about the weird looks from people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)





8 comments:
This is one of my greatest fears, as well. I recently saw an improper apostrophe in big letters on the cover of a magazine. Apparently, no one on the entire staff could fix it.
Shudder.
I would have taken a picture too. Have you read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves? She talks about the little-understood apostrophe.
Gag, this is appalling. The lastest English blunder I ran into was last week at a high school graduation. The huge backdrop behind the class read, "Class Moto: Blah, blah, blah" Really, people? Moto? You would think SOMEONE in the entire high school body could have pointed out the correct way to spell motto BEFORE grad night. Heaven help us preserve the integrity of the English language!
My biggest pet peeve with the apostrophe (probably because I see it so often) is when someone pluralizes their name with "'s".
This is heavily seen on blogs and Christmas cards.
"Happy Holidays from the Johnson's"
and
"The Smith's - Our blog"
You should change your blog name to "The Moncur's"!
oh no. please no. ugh.
It's like nails on a blackboard! Aiyeee!
Or should I say its like nail's on a blackboard...
Post a Comment