Monday, June 07, 2010
I Survived the First Ever Moncur Family Camping Trip
I feel like I should get a commemorative shirt or something.
A couple days after I had Jones our church had a Fathers and Sons camping trip. Since I was in the hospital being well taken care of I told Aaron and Wes to go and let me enjoy the last of my peace and quiet. They had a total blast and came home filthy and happy. It's been six weeks and Wes still hasn't stopped talking about going "ni-night outside!"
They had such a good time that Aaron decided we needed to take up camping as a hobby.
(Me: "....")
I decided to go along with it when I realized that camping usually requires you to unplug. Ever since Aaron became self employed I've had a heck of a time getting him away from work stuff so I figured maybe camping wasn't such a bad idea. We bought a new tent and a couple camp chairs and Aaron has been bugging me to go ever since.
Since I didn't love the thought of nursing in a tent in the woods in the middle of the night in the freezing cold I kept putting him off.
I realized this weekend was probably our best and maybe last shot for a couple months since the nights are no longer freezing but the days are going to start getting really hot. So we packed the Civic full of stuff and headed to the same spot they went for Fathers and Sons, about 45 minutes outside of town, for our camping test run. We figured it was better to be only 45 minutes from home instead of up at the rim of the Grand Canyon or something in case it really sucked and I hated it.
We promptly demonstrated our awesomeness by getting really stuck. This was right after I said, "Be careful, I'm kind of nervous about getting stuck in this sand."
Fortunately, these guys pulled us out.
And then they told us where the best camping spots out of the way of blowing dust were and THEN they gave us some extra firewood. I wish I knew their names and addresses so I could send a thank you note because they seriously saved our butts.
We set up our new tent, which clearly required the removal of shirts because A. it was hot and B. we need to be just like daddy.
And then we made some dinner with our little bitty fire.
And then I ate a whole bunch of s'mores and we went to bed. I got up twice with Jones but it really wasn't too bad. It was pleasantly cool and he decided it was not a night for partying and promptly went back to sleep after eating.
On Saturday morning we woke up, made breakfast, and packed up just as a bunch of stupid drunk (at 7am!) kids decided it was time to come down and play at the river.
On the way home we stopped for Second Breakfast at the french bakery. That was probably my favorite part.
We declared our first outing a success. I warned Aaron ahead of time that I'm pretty much useless when it comes to the great outdoors and so he stepped up and did all the stuff that required getting really dirty. I didn't even have to cook (except for my marshmallows and I don't mind doing those). Maybe next time we'll be REALLY brave and go for longer than 12 hours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


.jpg)
.jpg)








1 comment:
It takes some work, but camping is an inexpensive and fun way to disconnect from daily life, and reconnect with each other and nature. I'm impressed!
And that's reason #134 I need to buy a truck when we move back west.
Post a Comment