Friday, August 29, 2008

Good Thing I'm Not Epileptic

(wrote this last night but couldn't put it up until today because, as it turns out, YouTube takes for.ev.er to upload videos)

Tonight was like a strobe. A strobe that surrounded my ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD.

(also, is anyone taking my semi-retirement seriously since I've posted twice in the 2 days since I announced it? In my defense, Wes has been in bed asleep both times. And I AM in semi retirement. Seriously.)

We get some pretty decent lightning around these parts, but last tonight was a whole 'nother enchilada.

I was in bed around 8:15 (remember how I was blogging at TWO THIRTY last night/this morning? Ya. The night didn't really improve from there) when Aaron came in and told me there was a bunch of lightning. I was going to tell him to just tell me about it in the morning when I realized it looked like a rave was going on outside our bedroom window. We wandered outside around the side of our house and this is what we saw to the south (it's kind of long, you don't have to watch all of it to get the general idea):



And then I went in to pull the video off since my memory card couldn't handle any more and when I went back outside (to the north), it was like this:





(this one is my favorite)

The video doesn't really do it justice, but it was amazing and it only got crazier as the night went on. We were outside for over an hour before the rain started and even after it got wet and windy we still kept going back out to enjoy it. We didn't even know where to look, it was like the entire sky was exploding and it was on all sides.

Aaron got some cool pictures:


This one was during a kind of lull when the sky wasn't being so constantly lit up. The bolts became more visible.

And the storm just. kept. GOING. We thought it was over at 10:30 but then it decided to move directly over our house and rattle our windows and drench us all over again. Seriously, you should all move to Arizona so we can sit on my front patio and watch storms together. It'll be fun! We'll eat popcorn and listen to the thunder shake my house.


(also, a note of clarification: for those who have expressed concern over my reduced blogging leaving them in the dark as to whether or not Wes will still be as exquisitely precious as he grows, posting on his blog will remain the same, frequency wise. It's kind of his baby book so I won't be ignoring it. Also, I only post there like 5 times a month anyway)

12 comments:

Janssen said...

I would TOTALLY come over for that party. I love thunderstorms.

Kristi said...

This is how Texas storms are, but I spend my time in our under the stairs closet instead of outside :). Cra-zy. You know what else was crazy? Hearing what your voice sounds like!

Heather said...

Looks amazing! I've never heard of a storm like that one . . .

I know what you mean about week-daily posting. I have a post in my queue already written about how I'll be moving to a less-frequent schedule, but then all these things come up that I want to have a record of.

Love your blog, I'll read whatever you throw at me.

Lonica said...

OH! I miss monsoon storms. We get rain in Columbus, but nothing like the Thunder and lightening of Arizona!

Melody B. said...

That was CRAZY, huh? I LIVE for storms like that. I remember much more lightning and not as much thunder. Which I am a fan of...me no likey thunder. Especially the ones that are BEYOND loud that appear suddenly out of no where and make you scream like a big 'ol girl and yell for your mommy! Great pics...you should send them into a news channel. They'll put them on air and say who took it. Kind of fun.

P.S. Is Heather (above) jumping for joy with a....light saber?

Becca said...

I'm so jealous! That looks amazing.

Nikki said...

I wonder how many people had seizures because of that. I'm pretty sure I almost had one watching those videos. I need to go lay down.

Melody B. said...

Well, well...so you DID send it into News Channel 12!!! I just saw it on the news!:P Now you can say that DM Photo's work has been featured on Channel 12news. Very cool!:)

Austin said...

i saw pretty good thunderstorms in Utah, but this is definitely better than anything I've seen... wow.

And I agree with Kristi... It's weird (but cool) to hear what your actual voice sounds like! Technology makes for such a strange world...

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwww i miss monsoons - minus the unbearable humidity :) the rain in new york is incredible - it pours and pours for hours at a time, but the lightning just can't compete.

angela hardison said...

The storms were amazing - I want more. And I don't remember if I ever posted this or not when you announced your blog retirement, but this was my reaction:

:(

And also that I understand and admire you for devoting your time to being a mother. Babies are way cuter than blogs. If your retirement happens though, just know that I'll miss your posts.

{ Bethany } said...

ya that night was crazy....it was seriously nonstop for like an hour. Ive never seen anything like that here in my entire life.