Monday, August 11, 2008

Blog Kayla v. Real Life Kayla

Janssen just wrote a post about how some people's blog personas are kind of different from their real life personalities, which is kind of an interesting idea. And it made me wonder if my blogging gives an accurate portrayal of my personality.

I went back and read through some of my posts and decided: Yup. This is me alright.

I think the only difference between blog me and real life me is that I'm a bit quieter in real life. The reason for this being that no one else is talking on my blog, and therefore I can monopolize the conversation and impose all my stories on you without interruption.

When I realized this I imagined you all tied to wooden chairs in a little theater with duct tape over your mouths as I stood on the stage and talked endlessly about my crazy dating stories and my nonstop trips. Some of you looked a little annoyed and were trying to glance at your watches but your hands were tied behind your backs so HA. There is no escaping! You WILL hear about the time I was offered garbage can popcorn!

Also, I think on my blog I come across as a bit more witty and fluid that I do in real life. I say "like" a lot in real conversation. And "um." On my blog I can sit and ponder better ways to say things and nobody knows that I sat forever trying to come up with a better phrase than, "And I was, like, sooo annoyed, ya know?" Which would definitely come out of my mouth if I were telling you about how I tried to pack all my travel sized toiletries into a smaller-than-average sandwich bag.

But really, I blog a lot like how I talk. The stories I've told you here are pretty much written how I would have told you in real life. I go caps where I would have put emphasis while talking. I use periods a lot more than exclamation points because, in my head, I'm using my deadpan voice. Sometimes I go through afterward and delete the extra "likes" but, other than that, what you read here is pretty much what you get.

And I kind of like it that way.

5 comments:

Janssen said...

I agree that you are much like your blog in real life, if a bit quieter (and your voice sounds different - aka not like mine).

Also, you used a phrase several times in Vegas that I'd never seen on your blog that cracked me up. And now, of course, I can't remember what it was. Which is a shame, because I totally planned to steal it.

Bart said...

Yeah, Janssen said the strangest thing when she met you in person was hearing your voice. I guess she had an imaginary voice in her head as she read your blog, which I think is hilarious.

Kristi said...

I write how I think, I don't even take out the likes. I was kind of hoping it was endearing, but maybe I should like reconsider ( : ) ). I seriously feel like I am the exact same. I don't even proof read. Which is probably extra annoying because if I reread an entry later and see something real bad I will go and fix it and then it pops up on your google reader again, sorry.

I wish I could vouch for you on being the same, but I just don't know! I don't even have a pretend voice in my head for you. I'll have to have Janssen do an impression.

Unknown said...

That is so weird...I totally thought you and Janssen had known each other back in the day. I knew you both at the same time, I guess I just assumed. Weird.

TheMoncurs said...

Janssen-Now I'm really curious what that phrase was. Something that hasn't made it onto my blog?? Weird.

Bart-I know what she means. When you read someone's blog the voice in your head is your own, so when you hear that person speak and it's NOT your voice that comes out..it's a little weird.

Kristy-I think my writing got better when I just started writing like a talk instead of like I was writing a paper. Keep the likes! Also, I'd like to hear Janssen's impression of me.

Lizzy-We met once at Carl's apartment but..that was it. So we sort of knew each other. Kind of. Mostly I knew OF her.