Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The End. Or Not.

I had a post scheduled to go up at 8:58 this morning. A post that had been written and rewritten and read and reread until I was satisfied.

I was announcing my retirement from blogging.

But then, as I lay in bed last night, I realized that I'm not quite ready. It's not that I CAN'T give it up, because I have been happily planning my blog retirement for several days. Which is a relief because I had read several articles that stated that if you can't imagine living without your blog then it's probably a sign that you need to and I was worried that I fell into that category.

It's just that I realized I still have things I want to write about. When discussing my impending retirement with Aaron I told him that I was pretty sure I hit my blogging prime while I was pregnant and everything had kind of gone downhill since then and I wanted to quit before I resorted to blogging about what I had for lunch that day. But then last night I realized that I was taking myself and my blog way too seriously and if I want to blog about what I had for lunch then at the very least Nikki will still read what I have to say and then comment about what she had for lunch that day and neither of us will think we are lame.

My reasons for retiring from blogging, though, were many. The most important being this one:


My time is no longer my own.

Blogging is a significant time suck, especially because blogging is more than just writing: it's being involved in a community. When it was just me and Aaron and he spent a lot of his evenings working on his laptop I didn't feel too bad about parking my behind in front of the computer and blogging and reading and involving myself.

Even when Wes was a newborn and he slept so much of the day I could still justify it.

Now, however, Wes spends a lot of the day awake. He requires so much more of me now than he did before and I am cutting out the unnecessaries to be the kind of mom I want to be.

Up until 11 last night, that included my blog. But then I realized I don't have to give it up completely. Not yet.

I cleared out the vast majority of my Google reader, keeping only family, a handful of friends, and a few inspirational blogs I can't bring myself to quit just yet. It may sound trite, but it's not you, it's me. You are fabulous and wonderful (and have you lost weight??) but I just can't keep up with it all anymore without neglecting more important things.

Posting on here will be drastically reduced. For the past year or so I have tried for daily posting during the week. And sometimes during the weekends if I had a good story to tell. I don't know if I will ever be able to devote that kind of time and effort to my blog again. Now, I may put up one post every week or two. Maybe less. I'm not sure yet since continuing my blog wasn't really part of the plan, but I am cutting my time investment to a fraction of what it was before.

I guess you could call this semi-retirement. I have other things I want to focus on right now, and maybe at some point I will be ready to just be done with blogging altogether, but that time is not now.

Not yet.

14 comments:

Noelle said...

Well, you will be missed. :) I'll look forward to your bi-weekly or semi-monthly (or whatever) posts. :) Oh, and I love that picture of you and Wes. Your husband is quite the photographer.

Becca said...

I heartily protest! If you stop blogging, what will I have to rely on anymore? I wish I was the kind of friend who could support you in the tough decisions you make...but you ask too much. Seriously, I will be very sad. Blogs are my only contact with you! It's how our friendship was rekindled! I just don't know what to do anymore.

Lonica said...

I'm very glad you decided against disbanning your blog completely. I totally enjoy getting to know you from the distance. I hope you manage to find time to balance all the demands in life. (Doesn't that sound like a fortune cookie?) Well, keep us posted. Good luck!

Janssen said...

If you wrote about what you had for lunch, I'd always be all "holy crap, why am I eating a warm yogurt while she's eating THAT delicious lunch?"

So, don't do that or I'll be constantly sad. And I'm so so glad you're not shutting down entirely.

Nikki said...

Yay! And no, I wouldn't think you're lame for posting about what you had for lunch. In fact, it might inspire me to make something yummy for lunch or dinner for myself.

Now I won't feel as lame for only posting like, less than once a week. :)

Becky said...

I don't think you should retire. I enjoy your blog!! Plus, it's a great way to preserve your memories...I am in LOVE with my blog books. Esp. when my computer crashed and most of my pictures were NOT backed up...I wanted to kiss my blog!!!

Cricket said...

Well, enjoy your semi-retirement. You will always and forever have a great topic in motherhood and you will take great solace in the comments you'll get from other moms the first time you post about Wes getting a pea stuck up his nose :)

Melody B. said...

No...no quiting...EVER! Wes naps...he goes to bed relatively early...yes? This is when you blog! I'm teasing...if you want to quit you can....but don't k?

gina said...

What!?! I came across your blog and every night I read a few posts. Okay like 20 but I'm not even into 2008 yet! I'm going to get to the current time and your going to be gone?!? How can you do that to me ;) hehe I do enjoy your blog. It's very entertaining. But you have to do what you feel is best. I guess I will never know what happens next. -One sad blogger

Anonymous said...

i object.

first of all, you were my inspiration to start a blog - sniff sniff. what would i be without you?!?!

second, how will i get to see pictures of ze bebe!

third, i have the most incredibly boring job on the face of the earth, and if you just up and leave WHAT WILL I DO ALL DAY???

i think you should stop being so selfish and think about whats REALLY important here - me :)

Clairey said...

Noooo don’t leave us! *Sobs*

What else am I supposed to read all day when I’m supposed to be studying?

Plus I for one think "what you had for lunch" could be quite interesting, could give me some ideas; or at least it could give me a 10 min distraction from an essay!

Caitlin Carroll said...

I need you and Baby Wes in my life in some form-- at least upload pics to the baby blog every once and a while!

Karen said...

Sorry Kayla, I think your public has spoken! We love to hear what you are doing, thinking and planning. You can't leave us totally in the dark. What fun would it be to make a fabulous decor item and hang it and NOT blog about it?? And take adorable pictures and not pass them on? How will I know what Wess likes at 2.6 years old? It's not like the chances of you returning to PH are high!!

Margot said...

Gee, I guess I'm all alone here, but good for you. I mean, I would miss reading your blog, but I'm glad that your priorities are baby, then blog. That's why I only post a few times a week. I try not to be on the computer when the boys are awake so that I can spend time with them.

So while I'm glad that you're only entering semi-retirement instead of full-retirement, I applaud your decision.

Man, all your other readers are gonna hate me...