On Saturday Aaron and I got to really celebrate Valentine's Day by visiting the Cloud 9 Spa in Scottsdale. Aaron gave me the 7th Heaven package and got himself a deep tissue massage while he was at it.
I woke up that morning with a dilemma. What does one wear to a spa day? I'd never been to one before (excepting our honeymoon massages in Mexico and I think we showed up in our swimsuits). I ended up wearing jeans, a t-shirt and, of course, my big sunglasses (I've seen enough pictures of movie stars leaving spas that I know those are a necessity). Turns out the answer to the question is: anything you darn well please. You just end up changing into a little spa robe as soon as you get there. Good to know for future spa visits. And, trust me, there WILL be future spa visits.
I got started with an hour long swedish massage. It was a little wimpy, but afterward I felt really really relaxed, so it must have done the trick. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that I got really cold. They make you strip naked then coat you with oil in a room that isn't particularly warm. You're covered with a sheet and blanket, but the masseuse is constantly uncovering bits and pieces and I found myself on the verge of shivering. Apparently, the massage beds are usually heated, but they were experiencing technical difficulties. Coldness aside, it was lovely.
Next up was my facial. This was far and away the best part of my package. It was another naked-under-a-blanket thing, but this time my bed WAS heated and it was sooo nice. My facialist was really friendly and started off by pointing a steam machine at my face. Then she cleansed my face using a variety of heaven knows what. Then she put on an enzyme masque. That stung a bit, but not to the point where it was uncomfortable. While the enzymes were busy enzyming, she gave me a foot and hand massage. After that it was a grapeseed oil massage for my face (never had a face massage before, but it was surprisingly enjoyable). Then it was a hydrating masque. This was the best part. While that was sitting and hydrating, she gave me a phenomenal scalp massage. Ask Aaron, I will do just about anything for a head rub, and all I had to do was lay there on a heated bed in a darkened room with beautiful music playing (and pay money). It was so fabulous. There were some hot towels in there (and extractions. They make it sound all gentle and stuff, but they lie) and the whole thing was just too wonderful. I'd go get another facial in a heartbeat. I'm DEFINITELY getting one before Nikki's wedding. Because I can.
Last (and definitely least) was my pedicure. It was a standard pedicure, nothing really spectacular. The menu said it should last about 45 minutes, but I'm pretty sure it was 25 at the most. My feet look and feel great, but I felt kinda cheated. Really, it was probably pretty good, but in comparison to the other 2 parts of my package, it was kinda blah. At least I got to sit there in my spa robe freshly facialed with a cold glass of water while they painted my toes.
To sum up:
I had 3 (three) foot massages
2 (two) hand massages
1 (one) face massage
1 (one) full body massage
With all the oils and the lotions and the soaking I smelled like a flower shop by the time I got out of there. In a good way.
There is one thing I would have done differently. I hadn't shaved my legs for about a week before I went (yes, lazy, I know). I spent the entire time worrying that people were looking at what I imagined to be a small forest on my legs (the spa robe hit just below the knee) or that any of the three people that had to do anything with my legs were totally grossed out. I apologized for my legs roughly 17 times. How was I supposed to know that all THREE of my people would have to spend time with them?? In any event, if you're going to a spa day, for the love of all that is good smelling and relaxing, shave.
And maybe, if we're lucky, Aaron will blog about his deep tissue massage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment