A few days ago I gave Aaron permission to give our cats away.
I finally realized what a raw deal they were getting with us. We're never home and when we are, we don't hang out with them. They spend their time locked in our kitchen because, when they are elsewhere, they chew through electrical cords. They were so bored that they had resorted to chewing on wood. Plus Aaron's allergies haven't exactly gotten better. And his opinion of them hasn't improved either.
So, Aaron put together a Craigslist ad and today Neko got a new home. It was a couple who lives on the indian reservation with the girl's family. They said there is always someone home and they seemed like real animal lovers. They weren't exactly what I had in mind, but they seemed genuine and I think they'll take good care of him. I didn't even cry until after they had left.
I'm really sad to see him go, but it will be nice to reclaim that part of the house. We haven't done anything with the living room because they get cat hair all over everything and chew on whatever they can fit their mouths around. I'm always a little embarassed when company comes over and there's cat hair on the counter because we couldn't figure out how to teach them that counters are off limits. Pet ownership definitely has its give and take.
Bender will probably be more difficult to place. We were pretty honest about him in our Craigslist ad. I want people to know what they're getting into with him. He was not the easiest cat to befriend, but once he decided he liked me he became my little loving shadow. He just needs someone who will be really patient and very kind. He probably needs to go to someone older with no children who doesn't mind having Bender on their lap a lot. He's a good kitty and I hope we find a good place for him too.
I'm definitely sad (and still a little teary), but in the end this will be best for everyone. They need a lot more attention than we can give them and I doubt they have been really happy these past few months. For Bender's sake, I wish they could have gone together, but oh well.
So, Neko, here's to you and your new life. I hope they give you lots of treats and crinkly sounding kitty toys.
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Did you ask for a donation? Esp. on Craigslist? I've had some first hadn BAD experience about free animals and the crazies who get them for bad things....PLEASE PLEASE ask for at least a small donation--NOT JUST FREE CAT--so that way you know the person really DOES want the cat.
Sorry you had to give them away--I'd have taken them if I could!
Post a Comment