Monday, June 23, 2008

Where the H* is Matt?

I ran across one or two of these videos a couple years ago but forgot how awesome they are.

A quick summary of what's going on here:

Matt is a 31-year-old deadbeat from Connecticut who used to think that all he ever wanted to do in life was make and play video games. Matt achieved this goal pretty early and enjoyed it for a while, but eventually realized there might be other stuff he was missing out on. In February of 2003, he quit his job in Brisbane, Australia and used the money he'd saved to wander around Asia until it ran out...A few months into his trip, a travel buddy gave Matt an idea. They were standing around taking pictures in Hanoi, and his friend said "Hey, why don't you stand over there and do that dance. I'll record it." He was referring to a particular dance Matt does. It's actually the only dance Matt does. He does it badly. Anyway, this turned out to be a very good idea. (taken from his "About Matt" page)

The video went viral and Matt got himself a sponsor and now has video of himself dancing all over the world. It's really inspiring to watch. And it really makes me itch to travel.

Dancing in 2005:



Dancing in 2006:



Dancing in 2008:


Where the Hell is Matt? (2008) from Matthew Harding on Vimeo.

Now, who wants to go somewhere??

4 comments:

Bart said...

You're right. He does do that dance badly. But at least he does it all over the world!

Kind of makes me want to start taking a particular picture or video everywhere we go.

Anonymous said...

I love Matt! I've been checking up on him for two dance videos now and am more and more convinced that I need a better job. One that includes international (all expenses paid) travel.

xox

Lonica said...

Dang it! Now I really want to go traveling. I've been having a hard time reconciling myself with the fact that I'm not going to go anywhere more exotic than Mesa this summer. BTW I'm in Mesa now. Should we hang out--maybe with Raquel? I'd like to see Wes in person. Let me know...

Anonymous said...

Wow I love those videos! I especially love in the first one when he scares the giraffe. And the beginning of the 2nd one is so cool!
It really makes me want to travel, everywhere!!
And I really love the 3rd one when everyone dances!