Monday, June 09, 2008

Operation Bedroom Renovation: Expedit Bookcase


I FINALLY got my hands on the correct bookcase last weekend weekend. After initially coming home with the wrong color, Aaron and I went back and tried to exchange it a few weeks ago only to discover that they didn't have the white in stock. So, with a 30 minute drive each way and three trips (one being an incredibly long trip during rush hour traffic) it has taken me over FOUR HOURS of driving to get the right one. Me and Ikea aren't really friends right now. Which is a pity because they have some really great stuff.

BUT! It is here. It is set up. My clothes have somewhere to reside. I was going to share it with Aaron but, as it turns out, I need all the room and he doesn't need any of it. So that worked out well.

Operation Bedroom Renovation keeps on chuggin. Last weekend I also sewed the ties onto our tie top curtain panels. I need to figure out how to hang my branch-rod things though. A trip to Home Depot in search of appropriate bracketage is in order.

As the project has progressed, there have been some modifications to the overall plan.

Remember my starburst art? I decided I hate it. It looks really cool lit up at night but the rest of the time not so much. Oh well. I'll just use the Christmas lights for something else and toss the $20 canvas. Now I'm looking for other art options. I've got some ideas, we'll see if they work out. Instead of the starburst thing on top of the Expedit, I hung a mirror that got booted from over our kitchen table when we acquired this really great painting from the Hassells last year:

The mirror has been floating around the house looking for a new place to hang ever since. I'm glad to have found it a new home.

Also, I was about to start making my own branch jewelry holder when I found this guy at Ikea:

The price tag said "$4.99" and I said "sold."

And, a really awesome addition, a mold of me and Wes's hands done by our long time family friend, Denise (more pictures here).

So now, the top of the Expedit looks like this:



The light bulb vases would have been cool but A. I have a little boy who is thinking about becoming mobile some day and B. the whole point was to use (free) recycled materials and we have like, 2 clear light bulbs. And they still work. So I'm back in limbo trying to decide what to do with that funky wall. Maybe move my jewel case photo display to that wall. Because I have something better for over the headboard:

I etched our silhouettes on 12x12 mirror tiles and I'm going to hang those over our bed instead. I'm really excited...I think they might be my favorite part of the room so far.

I'm halfway through another major part of the project...pictures forthcoming.

4 comments:

Janssen said...

You are a major inspiration to me. Seriously, I'm so sick of the undone projects in our house.

Becca said...

You are SO AMAZING. I love the things that you do. I want to be like you.

Vivian said...

It looks beautiful.I am amazed on how creative and organized you are. Way to go!

Unknown said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the mold of your hands! What a great idea! I want one!