Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Controversy Brought to You Courtesy of Desert Book

I recently started reading Light Refreshments Served, a blog hosted by Desert Book. The four woman who contribute are witty, funny, and occasionally thought-provoking writers.

One writer in particular, Lisa (who is, incidentally, sister-in-law to Cjane and Nie)(also, her baby might be cuter than Wes. Click her name to go to her blog and be devastated by preciousness), has written two posts that really got me thinking.

The first is entitled In your face books and is about the idea put forth by literature professor Mikita Brottman that her exploration of fictional worlds and people kept her from fully experiencing life.

To quote:

The old superstitions about books aren’t groundless, in other words. They can cast a spell on you. They can change your life completely, and, once you’ve changed, you can’t go back. I, for one, would have been much better off if I’d listened to my dad and spent more time in the company of other human beings. All those years in the attic would have been far better spent learning vital skills: how to socialize, how to engage with others, how to be physical, how to live in the world.

Yes, books can take you to wonderful places, but they can also leave you stranded there, isolated from other human beings, even from your own experience of yourself.


I really love reading..but I kind of see her point. I have a couple very serious book lovers among my readership and I'm kind of curious to know their thoughts.



The second one, It's Not Easy Being Green, is about an article in the Washington Post that likened the green movement to socialism. Which, at first I was like, "...what?" but then I read it and I was like, "Hey! Ya! I AM being bullied by people wanting me to change my lightbulbs to CFL!"

Some highlights:

"The largest threat to freedom, democracy, the market economy and prosperity,” warns Czech President Vaclav Klaus, “is no longer socialism. It is, instead, the ambitious, arrogant, unscrupulous ideology of environmentalism."

"If you doubt the arrogance, you haven’t seen that Newsweek cover story that declared the global warming debate over. Consider: If Newton’s laws of motion could, after 200 years of unfailing experimental and experiential confirmation, be overthrown, it requires religious fervor to believe that global warming — infinitely more untested, complex and speculative — is a closed issue."

The whole article and the blog post were both deeply thought provoking. And I have a couple very serious granola types among my readership and I wanted to know their thoughts.

I don't tend to post anything actually worth discussing very often (...or ever) but both these had me thinking about them for a couple days and now I kind of want to know: what do YOU think?

11 comments:

Janssen said...

Well, I must start reading that blog clearly.

And I spit on that argument about reading. Yes, it'd be bad to spend all your time reading and never learning social skills and whatnot, but there is obviously time for both in your life. And you know what, not everyone has to be a social butterfly. If you can have a few friends and a spouse and a family and a job, you're fine. Who cares if you have one gazillion friends? Moderation in all thing, right? And think how much a love of books can help you out when you're on an airplane or waiting at the DMV (and sure, you can talk in those lines too, but really, must we be talking every minute? And reading is educational).

Why must you bring out the crazy in me?

Lonica said...

As a self proclaimed book-a-holic I would have to say that I have a hard time seeing the disadvantages with reading. I think the very assest of a book is that it can take you to different locations, cultures, times, and people all from the comfort of your couch. I know that I wouldn't know nearly as much if I didn't love to read. I can see their point. I remember as a kid prefering to sit inside and finish a good book rather than go shoot hoops with the neighborhood kids. I think that advantages far outweight the social stigma it may cause though.

Lisa said...

Thanks for reading my blog(s)! And thanks for the shout-out to my baby. I'm biased, so it's always nice to hear from someone else. . .

I'm glad these posts got you thinking. The articles I quote had been on MY mind forever, so it was nice to get them out there to discuss. (Incidentally, I agree with the comments you've received--the idea of moderation, in particular. )

Keep reading--and be sure to comment to keep the discussion going! (Apparently my baby's not the only one who needs validation. . . )

Sherry said...

I agree with Janssen.

Also, maybe the push for environmentalism is a bit like socialism, but I don't mind. Probably because I'm a socialist hippie at heart. And I am a firm believer in utilitarianism. As a whole, it is better for the world for everyone to do their parts to buck up and take care of the environment. It may be difficult, but it is something to be done. And I could say similar things about healthcare, poverty and world hunger (the global food crisis), but I would say them even more vehemently because lives are at stake. "As a whole it is better for [America] for everyone to [pitch in] and take care [of other people]. It may be difficult, but it is something that must be done."

And you know, if we have to guilt-trip people into doing that, I don't feel too badly. Because I think people should feel guilty when they are doing things that is detrimental to society. I feel guilty every time I eat meat these days. I'm this close to being a vegetarian.

Please don't tell my mom.

Anonymous said...

Well, here's the deal. The global warming debate can't just be "over," seeing as how there's pretty strong scientific evidence that we're due to be in a mini-ice age at the time, and the only thing that is protecting us is the increased carbon emissions that have created said greenhouse effect. (Read John Ringo's forum on Baen books to find out more.)

The green issue is totally ridiculous, because the people who argue for 'being green' don't do anything to fix the problem. The only way we are going to become a nation of people who don't use gasoline is if we find an alternative that is more economically feasible.

Ack, you've hit a hot button issue, and I'm definitely not on the granola side. I'm posting more on this on my blog.

Lonica said...

Oh, I heard about Carl's wedding. How was it? We'll be here until the 5th of July. We're going to Rocky Point at the beginning of next week, but I think we'll come back Thursday morning. Hmmmm...

Unknown said...

I think that reading is just fine. I do agree that you should be careful to moderate, and that you don't take too many extended multi-day trips into the land of books, but there's nothing wrong with making people think and work their imaginations. As for unrealistic expectations, I think that any person who is remotely connected with the world around them is going to end up with some unrealistic expectations about some aspect of their life. If a book makes you more optimistic about your future, that's probably ok.

As for the Green thing...Boo. I, personally, enjoy doing things in my life to help the environment. I recycle when possible, I reuse items in my house for other things rather than throwing them away, we use some good light bulbs, blah, blah. The thing that bothers me right now is the fact that the global warming issue has been declared closed right after being green has become such a popular thing. I'm all for research into new fuel sources, and for working to be better about recycling etc., but I'm really not into being pressured into things because they're the "it" thing right now, and I'm also really not into judging other people.

Also, to be horridly honest, sometimes I do "green" things just because they save me money...

mominaz said...

Well, you and I are alike about jumping into escapism in a book, blocking everything else out. I don't think either one of us are socially awkward because of it. Of course, how would WE know?

The green thing...you know I recycle what I can. The thing is, recyclables have to be clean. Aren't I wasting water by washing out the plastic before I put it in the recycle bin? You may also remember me telling you that when I get a voter's pamphlet and can't decipher what we're voting on, I look to see who's for it and who's against it. If the Sierra Club is for it, I'm against it.

It's partly the environmentalists' fault that we're so dependent on foreign oil. We have resources in our own country...let's use them!

And movies with a message...aarghh! I'm really hesitant to see Wall-E because I know it's about recycling. Arctic Tale came out a year or so ago and was supposed to be a March of the Penguins type movie. It was about global warming and I walked out disgusted. The alarmist mentality drives me crazy. Everyone just do your best!

Janell said...

Very interesting!

While I see how too much reading can be possible, I think that the child who actually falls into the category of reading too much is pretty rare. Most kids need more encouragement to read and not less. (IMO) As long as parents are encouraging other hobbies and experiences as well, they should be thrilled if their kids love to read. (I know I will be!)

As to the green issue, I probably should read the whole article before I comment... but oh well! In my opinion, the reason there isn't much debate, is because although there are a few voices doubting global warming, the vast majority of the scientific community--those who research, test, write, peer review each other in reputable scientific journals, etc.--do believe in the reality of global warming. (Ok, no, I'm not a scientist, but my husband is, and he reads TONS of the research as well as the articles in mainstream media sources, and is writing his dissertation on a specific type of alternative energy.) And that being said, why shouldn't we then go forward and make changes that will help the environment (and, in addition, our relationships with other countries because we will become less dependent on their oil)? If in the future, the evidence points against global warming, we can change tactics. We won't have lost anything by conserving more of our precious resources, inventing new technologies, and being more conscious of the effects our actions have on the earth. And as to the bullying, although there is such a thing as going too far, we humans are lazy creatures and not inclined to change our habits sometimes unless pressured (myself included of course--I keep meaning to buy the reusable grocery bags and make other changes that I haven't gotten around to yet)!

/liberal rant

Unknown said...

The ones who complain the most (Celebs, Companies, Politicians) are the ones who USE the most energy. It doesnt matter how many lightbulbs I switch, or what kind of car I drive, compared to the millions of damage done by a SINGLE private jet ride. It doesnt matter how I conserve my water compared to the ridiculous houses they live in. It doesn't matter if I drive a hybrid car compared to the damage the company does by making the car battery.

I hate the green movement because its fueled (heh) by GUILT. Its the religion for those who don't have religion in my not so humble opinion. Its a way for those to look down on others and feel better about themselves. Some people use their morals. Some people use their lightbulbs. :P

I also think people would to do better to lobby congress to make rules and restrictions for big companies than to restrict the rights and freedoms of the general public (ie, only allowing grilling on certain days, forcing lightbulb change, pushing water conservation, etc) The very small changes we could make are NOTHING compared to what the giants of our world do. And most of the time, the "green" options do just as much damage to the environment, just in other, less noticeable ways.

All that said, yes, we use different light bulbs, I try to conserve water, and I try to limit my gas usage and drive a gas-conscientious car. But I do it more for my wallet, than for the green movement. I care about thw planet, but I am realistic about it.

Also...global warming is real, but its not caused by humans or cars or factories. Its a natural cycle of the earth, and its not going to cause intense heating...its going to make the earth go through an ICE AGE. Which has been happening off and on all throughout the beginning of time.

{ Bethany } said...

um....that comment was posted by ME, Bethany, not Andre :) haha.