Why was I out there, you ask?
Because I was escaping this:
"Aw.." you say, "but he's so sweet and cute! There's nothing to escape!"
Wrong.
The following is an excerpt from a conversation I had with him this morning:
Wes: Hey, Mom! I know you've only had 5 hours of broken sleep but I'm awake and hungry and come get meeee!
Me: Fine, fine. You're always so cute in the mornings anyway, what with the smiling and the cooing and the almost laughing thing that you just started doing. I'll just take a nap in a couple hours when you go down.
Wes: Actually, I was thinking that I don't really want to take any naps today. And instead of full meals every three hours, I'm going to just snack every 20 minutes. Oh, and even though the house is a wreck and no one has any clean clothes and there's nothing to eat, I think you should devote your day to hauling my 12+ pound bod around and keeping me entertained. And that cold that won't die isn't going to hamper you ability to sing nonstop nursery rhymes, right?
Me: We have very different ideas of how today is going to go.
Wes: All right, battle of wills it is then.
And also, the hammock is located in the sun, an old acquaintance of mine I haven't seen in ages. And remember that place we're going to be visiting soon?

Well, they haven't yet invented a word for the current color of my skin. But when they do invent that word, I'm pretty sure it'll be offensive to the locals.
So I threw on my swimsuit and hesitantly stepped out of doors. It's kind of scary when you haven't done it in a while, ya know? I rolled up my tankini top a bit and prayed my neighbors wouldn't feel the need to look out their second story window. They're pretty old and blindingly white belly fat is dangerous for the elderly and the very young.
This time of year could be termed "Pink Profusion" in my back yard. Here's why:
There are one...
pink flowering bushes/trees/whatever in my backyard. And the one in number four is actually a stand of 3 trees. And all five (seven) trees/bushes/whatever bloom at the same time, which leads to the somewhat extravagant display of pink currently visible from our back doors.
I swear two days ago my little orange tree was covered in beautiful green leaves and white blossoms. But today it looks like a horde of very hungry caterpillars (hi, I'm a mom who reads children's literature all day long) came around and took no prisoners:
But all the flowers invite birds. And the singing of birds was a really nice change from Wes's angry protestations.
We have since made up and even though I made him suffer through tummy time, he is now happily kicking away on his blanket while staring at the blinds.
On a completely unrelated note, tell me if this makes any sense: You call your dentist at 3:45 on a Wednesday afternoon. You get a message saying that the office is now closed and to please call during regular business hours, which are: Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm with lunch being between 12:45 and 1.
Lies. All lies.





2 comments:
"Wes: All right, battle of wills it is then."
Made me laugh out loud. And for once, I was the first to read your post, and Janssen asked what I was laughing about. When she read it, she laughed too (knowing her, she may have already commented before mine gets published since she reads 100x the speed I do).
Or not. Janssen: 15090, Bart: 1.
Post a Comment