The crappy economy is really starting to cost us.
We got an email from ATA today. I already didn't much care for them since last time we flew with them they stuck me in a seat that didn't recline next to a window that wasn't actually a window for 6 hours on the way to Hawaii (most claustrophobic flight ever).
But today, they announced that they won't be taking us to Hawaii next month on account of they're broke and filing for bankruptcy. And they won't be refunding us. Or scheduling us on another flight. Sorry Charlie, no Hawaiian vacation for you.
Which really really sucks. I've been looking forward to that trip for months (and working my butt off to get back to pre pregnancy shape in time) and I don't know how or if we can still swing it and buy more tickets. Flights to Hawaii don't come cheap, ya know.
It wouldn't be such a big deal if Bear Stearns hadn't gone under. You see, a year or so ago Aaron and I invested a fairly serious chunk of change in a forex trading account. It has been up and down, but we're buy and hold investors and we figured we'd give it a few years and see how it performed. We didn't really need the money to meet our monthly obligations and we had some other savings, so it wasn't a big deal for it to dip. And if there was an emergency then we had the option of completely liquidating the account with no penalty. It was a slightly volatile safety net to our safety net.
Then Bear Stearns went under and our account completely depleted in about a minute.
Fortunately, Aaron and I are in a position to just shrug our shoulders and say, "Oh well..it's just money right?" as we tighten the budget a bit. We're not in any real danger, but we know and love people who are, and the whole thing is just getting a little old.
Plus I really want to go to Hawaii.
Dear Economy,
I hate you.
-Someone Who Plans on Hoarding and Saving Her Economic Stimulus Package Money Because You Certainly Don't Deserve It. Stimulate Yourself.
Thursday, April 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





11 comments:
ROFLMAO!
I, too was in the process of buying tickets to Hawaii, and was going to use ATA with SW points- I'm glad to report, that due to several snaffu's, we were unable to make a purchase before the announcement- sorry for you, though- that totally SUX
Stinks!! That just stinks!!
I half-heartedly liquidated in October; it was less than I wanted but now I'm looking like a freaking genius.
p.s. If I was more liquid, I'd be buying this very minute.
I am so, so sorry. Let's see...silver lining? Ah yes, now you have a great appreciation for all the joy in your life that doesn't come from material things. Right? Right?
They can't do that!! I mean I guess obviously they can but they really shouldn't be able to do that! Let's go egg their planes.
Janssen told me about your post and I had to come over here myself, read, and comment on how horribly crummy that is! That whole bankruptcy thing seem pretty darn shady to me . . .
I can't beleive you lost all that $! Are you sure they can do that ? Not refund your money?
Beast! That's the pits. We, too, are feeling the lameness of the current economy. After having to pay both federal and state taxes, that economic stimulus is going right back into our little savings account.
But Hawaii...alas. We're only heading to Tremonton...
Maybe you should turn your backyard into some kind of tropical oasis...or perhaps you should redecorate your bathroom or something...install a waterfall shower. Sing a little "It's in his kiss."
"stimulate yourself"??!! I'm dying laughing...bwahaha!!!
Kent said if you paid on a credit card you can get your money back!! I cannot believe that. I heard that a couple weeks ago...but I didn't think I knew anyone affected by it, how sad. Good luck!! I'll help u argue...I liek to do that sort of thing. ;)
So, I read your post and told my husband about it and he quickly looked up the following article on one of his favorite blogs. Hope it helps.
http://consumerist.com/375602/what-do-you-do-if-you-have-tickets-on-a-bankrupt-airline
Wow, that really sucks! I'm glad you are still going to Hawaii...
Post a Comment