Aaron isn't particularly fond of vegetables either, but he will eat them if they're put in front of him. He actually really likes salads and sometimes even craves them for lunch or dinner (this is so foreign to me).
A few weeks ago Aaron made a comment about how we should eat more vegetables in order to set a good example for Wes. I agreed that maybe it's time for us to be grown ups in our food choices. I really do try to eat healthy, despite my dislike of vegetables, so that was something I could get behind.
(Although, I recently read an article saying that babies get a taste for food in the womb, so you should really try to eat good fruits and veggies then. If that's true, Wes is going to grow up wanting nachos and pasta roni. Sorry dude.)
I had heard of spaghetti squash before but it wasn't until Pasta Queen blogged about it a year ago that I thought maybe I could handle it. I vowed that I would buy one and give it a try if I came across one. I vowed this knowing I had never before seen one in any of my grocery shopping experiences. It's the thought that counts, right?
In the wake of our decision to eat more vegetables I decided weekly trips to our local farmer's market, Superstition Ranch Market, were in order. They have ridiculously cheap, fresh, local produce. I should have hopped on board that train long ago, but it's a bit of a drive and it's over populated with old people who will hit your car in the parking lot and drive away without leaving a note (I've seen it happen. Twice).
As I wandered the market with Wes snoozing in his sling I saw them. A big pile of shiny yellow spaghetti squashes. And I had made a vow. So I made a guess about what a good once should look like and brought it home.
When I started cutting the squash I was like, "Uh oh..this smells an awful lot like pumpkin."
We heated up some spaghetti sauce, dumped it all together, and sat there staring at our bowls for a while.
Final verdict: I ate three bites and decided I was done. Aaron ate a small bowl full and decided he was done. Then we had scrambled eggs and hashbrowns for dessert.
I'm kinda bummed because I reeeaally wanted to like this. It's possible it was the sauce (I'm kind of picky about my spaghetti sauce--I usually make my own--and I'd never had this kind before) and I'd like to try it again prepared a different way (someone suggested just butter and salt, which might be kinda good). And I think it may have been undercooked, but it's hard to tell since neither of us have ever had it before and had nothing to compare it to.
But I'm really proud of us for trying. Neither of us had any clue if we'd even had squash before, so to jump in like that was a big step for us.
Next up: eggplant?





8 comments:
Considering that you are a picky eater, I would suggest sticking to vegtables that are like by those that are less picky. ;)
I tried twice to make spaghetti squash and gave up. My mom's is delicious for some reason...and mine always seems undercooked (no matter how long it's in the oven).
Suggestion for eating eggplant:
Cut in slices & grill it in olive oil. Add sliced tomatoes, fresh mozarella, & basil on a baguette. My most favorite sandwich ever (but that's coming from a veggie-lover).
Good luck!
I was going to post a really long comment. I actually just turned it into a post, and put it on my blog.
Good luck with your veggie adventures...I sure hope they work out for you.
I would suggest watching veggie tales or something, but that might actually make it more difficult to eat them.
Spaghetti squash + butter + salt/pepper = delicious. I've never tried to eat it as if it WERE spaghetti...that doesn't sound too tasty to me. And if you are trying to like vegetables, I highly recommend normal squash and zucchini. Delicious. And eggplant = kind of not that good.
You and I have similar views on vegetables (ie they're disgusting), but I actually really like spaghetti squash! Ok I only had it one time, but it was dang good. I don't remember how it was prepared though...I'm pretty sure with just butter and salt, and then I put some A1 on it (because it is my condiment of choice for most foods)
STAY AWAY FROM EGGPLANT, It will not go well! I have never, ever, once been able to pull off making my own eggplant anything, it's always slimey and gross.
And I agree with Kristy about the butter and salt with spagetti squash. I usually do it as a side dish. AND when we did it like real spagetti... it was a bust, not so good.
Here's an idea for you: one package of frozen mixed veggies, and one small tub of veggie cream cheese. Cook veggies first, add softened cream cheese= yummy side dish that doesn't feel like veggies.
Man! I miss Superstition Ranch Market!!! I brag to people in Ohio about how I used to be able to buy a pint of strawberries for 25 cents. (Here they cost at least two dollars.) I have to say, produce was much easier to come by in Arizona. Its a good place for you to learn to like vegetables.
I'm not that picky, but I can't do the squash and eggplant...but kuddos to you for trying it...
And Gage would kill for the TMNT sheet below!!
Post a Comment