Friday, March 02, 2007

Of Counting and Memories

My coworker's eight-year-old son has been suspended for 5 days, so he has been spending some quality time in our office this week. This has led to many discussions on parenting and how boring and/or obnoxious we should be to make these 5 days incredibly unpleasant for this kid so that next time he's thinking about acting up in class he can remember how much he hates spending time with me in our office.

Today, for some reason, we started talking about counting and how it's not really a particularly effective teaching tool. My mom, for example, used to say she was going to count to 3, but then would count to 5 or there would be 13 fractional numbers between 2 and 3. So, she'd start counting and we'd think, "that silly mom, counting again. We've got a while. Let's keep doing this obnoxious/violent/loud/destructive behaviour for a bit longer." My coworker said she had to stop counting all together because it just didn't work. Her kids now don't have any time to stop doing their behaviour, it's stop then or DIE (well, or go to their room or get a privilege taken away. Same thing).

This reminded my of a story my dad told me about when me and Nikki were little. He can't remember which of us it was, but I/Nikki was doing something bad and he said he was going to count to three and then give me/her a swat. I/Nikki continued doing whatever it was and he counted to 3 and sure enough! He swatted me/Nikki. I/she was absolutely flabbergasted and indignant and through tears shouted something to the effect of, "But Mom always counts to FIVE!" Like he was totally in the wrong for only counting to three without using fractions.

Ah, children. So much to look forward to.*

*Still not an announcement (I'm looking at you Nikki)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just have a kid already! They're so worth the shots...(not that I've had a kid but I imagine it's worth it)
I remember dad spanked me when I was 12. I was so mad.

TheMoncurs said...

YOU just have a kid already! Illegitimate children are much more socially acceptable nowadays.

Anonymous said...

you two stop. if you want ill take one for the team and pop out a few kiddos... its much more socially acceptable for me to be a whore than for nikki :)

TheMoncurs said...

Do it! My vote for the father is Dan. Your children would be very well provided for and they could celebrate Christmas AND Hannukah!

Lewis said...

You could borrow our kid for a couple weeks so we can go on another long vacation. Then we don't have to have any illegitimate children running around AND we get a vacation! Win win (win)! (Any Office fans out there?)