Saturday, March 10, 2007

Better Late than Never...

This very funny post on Mormon Mommy Wars got me thinking about all the things I SHOULD have known, but didn't really figure out until embarassingly late.

For example:

Some time when I was little my dad told me that thunder and lightning came from the friction caused by two clouds bumping and rubbing against each other. It wasn't until I was a SOPHOMORE in COLLEGE that I found out the truth from my physical science class. I was really confused when they were talking about how lightning is created. I was thisclose to raising my hand and saying, "um, I thought.." but then realized I should probably trust my professor's explanation.

I only recently figured out what the phrase "afternoon delight" refers to.

I didn't know enjoying cooking was an option (hi mom!) until I got married and actually thought it was kind of a little bit..well..fun. I just thought it was universally despised.

I didn't know global warming was more of a theory kind of a thing than a fact kind of a thing. I always thought it was one of those indisputable earth facts, like tectonic plates and the formation of clouds. I was shocked when my archaeology professor at BYU (again, sophomore year. It was an enlightening year for me) said he thought global warming was a load of hooey and then gave some rather compelling evidence to support his claim. Soon after that I decided I don't believe in it either, but not for any scientific reasons. I live in AZ. The prospect of the world getting hotter just makes me ill. If I ignore it, it will probably go away anyway.

I thought condos and condoms were the same thing when I was little. Fortunately, I figured that one out while still fairly young, but it still makes me laugh. THAT could have been awkward.

No comments: