On Saturday I went swimsuit shopping.
I'm such a girl when it comes to shopping. I looove shopping. As long as it's for clothes. And as long as those clothes are for me.
Swimsuit shopping less than 4 months after having a baby, however, was...not as exciting.
I'm only a couple pounds above my pre pregnancy weight but things still haven't settled back into their previous configuration. And by that I mean my belly is still kind of soft. And, for the first time in my life, I have a little something up top (thank you, nursing!).
Speaking of which, I have NO IDEA how people with boobs ever find clothing that fits. I'm not THAT big (seriously, I probably qualify as almost normal at this point) but button-up shirts gap and other shirts strain and it's all kind of ridiculous. I am having a heck of a time finding clothes that fit me right at this moment because my arms are still little twiggy arms and my chest is suddenly not quite AS twiggy and apparently that means my current body type is ALL WRONG. It's crazy.
ANYWAY, swimsuit shopping.
I found myself in the dressing room with SKIRTED swimsuits and thinking, "Sigh, it's not like I'm...." and then I got stuck. Because it's not like I'm what? TWENTY FIVE anymore? Because, hi, I AM 25. Sure, 24 was a little kinder to me but I'd only had one kid at the point and I was training for a half marathon so I should probably cut myself a little slack. Forty-year-old me is going to want to kick 25-year-old me in the face for thinking I don't want to be seen in a swimsuit ever again.
So I put back the old lady swimsuits and got myself an awesome DKNY tankini (on sale!) that spoke to my soul and decided to stop being so goshdarned self-judgey.
Beach, I am ready for you.*
*well, right now I am. Will probably have to pep talk myself again in a week
Monday, August 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Apparently I'm a commenting FOOL now on your blog! So sorry. But I have an opinion on this subject!
The turning point for me (I'm 26 and just had baby #3 4 months ago.. are you as sleep deprived as I am?) was a few years ago when I was all self conscious and wearing shorts with my swimsuit and such and then I looked around and realized MOST of the women around me were very overweight and if THEY had the courage to wear a swimsuit proudly, then who was I to be all bashful?! And I've never looked back. Be courageous! Good job kicking those skirted numbers to the curb. I'm reserving those for when I'm 65.
And I hear you on the boobage. It's nuts to find clothes with them. Nuts, I tell you.
I bought a skirted suit 6 weeks after having baby #2 and felt completely silly or old ladyish wearing it. I accidentally put it in my dryer and it got all funky. So, no skirted swim suit bottoms for me.
Have fun at the beach.
Few comments:
1) With you on finding something to fit the chest. I have ALWAYS had that problem and it drives me crazy! I actually had good luck searching for a swimming suit in the masectemy ward--apprarently women who've had a masectemy aren't in the market for showcasing major boobage. Thank heavens for them!
2) I actually LOVE my maternity swim suite. I felt more than comfortable having a big belly and not feeling like I had to suck in all day. Plus, the skirt on my suit was rather fun! I felt more like I was wearing a spagetti strap sun dress. Best, easiest to find, and most comfortable suit I've ever owned.
3) I was at the beach last week. Trust me, compared to most of the women out there, you'll look dang awesome in your swimsuit and you'll be thinking, "Why am I even doubting my attractiveness? Look at what these other blind bats are wearing!" That is, until you see the photos of yourself and realize you are just NOT ever really going to look good in a swimsuit! (At least that's how it goes for me).
I went to EIGHT different stores last Saturday and couldn't find one swimsuit. I am so jealous you found a cute tankini.
Post a Comment