| Beach baby burrito |
After doing battle with it for an hour we decided we weren't going to make it all the way to Cali. To make a long story short, we ended up in the middle of nowhere down a dirt road fringed with shacks and broken down cars where a guy named Matt replenished our freon in his home garage. It was all rather sketchy but dang if he didn't get us back on the road in record time for freaking cheap. If you break down in or near Tonopah, I highly recommend "Matt's Garage." Which, just FYI, really is a guy named Matt working out of his own garage.
We made it to the beach an hour later than planned but with wonderfully frigid A/C. Which we fortunately no longer needed because the weather was perfect.
On Saturday we headed down to San Diego to meet up with our friends, the Williams. We had a lovely day at the beach and headed home after lunch. Aaron was driving and I was navigating with his iPhone. I got us to the freeway, told him to take I-5 north and then closed my eyes. I opened my eyes twenty-five minutes later and was rather surprised to see that we were going to be needing passports very shortly unless we got off the freeway at the very next exit. Any further and we would find ourselves in Mexico. I especially loved how going to see the border added an extra hour to our driving and we were all sunburned and tired and there was a lot of wailing coming from the back seat. It took a few hours for that to become funny.
Aside from super sketchy car repair and an accidental almost international side trip, we're having a lovely time. But considering how the first 24 hours of this trip have gone I'm kind of concerned what the rest might bring.





1 comment:
I haven't told anyone this yet, ever, but when we were moving back to Utah I missed a very important turn (because I was on the phone with our stupid renters and our stupid property manager), and we drove the length of New Mexico heading West instead of North. New Mexico looks quite uniform no matter which way you were driving. That was a loooooooooooong day. That one, a year later, is STILL not funny.
Here's hoping to a less eventful rest of your trip.
Post a Comment