![]() |
| photo by my dad |
Two years ago today I almost retired from blogging. I don't think I realized at the time that it was my blog's birthday, but today, on the 4 year anniversary of this here little blog I am officially shutting it down.
I know, totally jerky to do it right after declaring a de-lurk day but it was kind of my last hurrah :)
I actually had another blog before this one. I wrote under a pseudonym and no one I knew in real life knew about it. But I quickly decided that was lame. I wanted people I knew in real life to recognize me if they came across my blog...it's a fun way to reconnect and make friends and I decided I'd rather just blog as my own self and not worry about it.
Four years and two children later, I'm worrying about it.
The internet is a scary place and I, thinking my blog would never attract anyone outside of my family and maybe a few friends, put all kinds of personal information out there. I used my real, full name. I used my kid's names. I didn't post our address, obviously, but I've talked openly about where we live and homeowner addresses are public record anyway. And lately that has kind of been haunting me and every creak in our house at night has me convinced someone is coming to murder us in our beds and steal my children because of information I sent out into the void. I should have been a lot more careful but I had no idea that I'd end up with the kind of readership that I have.
So, for my family's safety and my own peace of mind, this is my last post to TheMoncurs and in a few days I'll be making it private (so I can keep the archives). I'll still actively post to the baby blog though, since that's private already and pretty much our baby book for our kids (sad but true). If you want access to the baby blog, email me (button is on the right in my sidebar). I still have a bunch of invites available. And since there's pretty much zero personal information on my book blog I'll keep that going as well.
Odds are good that I'll start blogging again at some point. But if I do, it will be under a pseudonym and with much more caution.
I'll admit that I've been pretty sad ever since I made this decision. I've had a good 4 years and I'm really going to miss it. Thanks for the years of comments, friendship and support!
So long, little blog.






20 comments:
I'd appreciate a notification of the new address whenever you start it.
Darn...your blog is one of my favorites! But I totally understand.
:(
Well, we'll always have the baby blog. That can be enough.
Do you feel sort of sad about ending this after all your praise on the de-lurking post? It made me sad for all the people who love reading your blog. (Including myself, but who am I kidding? I can talk to you all the time! That comes with being sisters.)
I enjoy reading your blog too but you have to do what's best for you and your family. I'm going to send you my email, I want to be invited to your baby blog:).
I totally understand but will miss reading your fun blog.
This is vair tragic. Without your blog, we would not be friends.
i'm really sad about this.
Oh! I'll miss reading your blog. Can I read you're baby blog? I've never been invited...
Well, I, too, like your blog a lot, but I totally understand. I did the same thing... though I never used my kids names, there was enough info out there. I'll have to check in on the baby blog more often now!
Sad to see your blog go. Found your blog a couple months ago on the Hassell's blog and you are a great writer and very funny. I would love to be invited to your baby blog:
t_holdaway(at)hotmail(dot)com
We have met a couple times at get togethers the Hassell's have. I went private a couple of months ago too so I totally understand. Let me know if you want an invite.
Sad. I'll start checking the baby blog! I will miss your random reviews and thoughts, though.
I agree...sad. But seeing as I have already gone private myself, I totally understand. That's why I made a public blog, which links from my private one, but not the other way around. It doesn't have pics or real names, and there aren't a lot of posts yet. Oh, well.
How do you make your blog go private?
I'm positive that Janssen's comment does NOT mean she won't be friends with you going forward. Just that you wouldn't have become friends without your blog in the beginning.
Why don't you just go private? That's what I'll do if Janssen decides having my last name on there is too much of a safety issue.
Even though I don't read private blogs . . . some people do!
I'm going to miss your blog, but I totally understand your feelings. You're a great and entertaining writer!
Another one sad to see you go, I don't think i've ever commented but often read your blog.
I am super duper bummed. But naturally I totally understand. (I spend a lot of time trying to hide the real me on my blog and still, people find me!)
Does this mean you're quitting the internet too? I mean, are you breaking up with me?
I have to admit I ALWAYS read your blog. I have gotten recipes, tutorials for making cute alterations, and great ideas from looking at this precious site. You are just too creative! I would love to have an invite to the baby blog. I feel so sad! However, I completely understand your fears.
Also, when you publish your NaNoWriMo book (which you need to do), I want to read it. I know it will be entertaining!
So sad, but I totally understand! I'd love an invite to the baby blog if you still have some free.
Post a Comment