Tuesday, August 03, 2010

The Bandwagon. We're On It.


For the past 6 years I've secretly judged people who were really in to Lost. From the stuff I overheard I deemed it horrifically lame (...polar bears? Really?) and had no interest in watching.

A few years ago I saw Michelle Rodriguez at Pipeline on the North Shore and was like, "Hey, she's on that stupid Lost show." And Aaron was like, "...Who? What?"  Because he is an engineer and stuff like that is nowhere remotely near his radar.


At some point he apparently got wind of Lost though and when we got that Netflix streaming thing last week he decided that's what we should watch.

And somehow, less than a week later, we have watched all 25 episodes from the first season. Let me tell you, that is a freaking lot of Lost in a very short period of time. We spent our entire Saturday in this weird kind of couch potato world where we did nothing but feed our kids junk food (well, Wes got junk food and Jones got the junk food that I ate) and watch Lost (I also took a nap. I have my priorities). At the end of the day I had this weird feeling of distorted reality and my dreams that night were really crazy. It was maybe a little too much Lost.

But, as it turns out, I'm...kind of really in to Lost. Sure, there is a lot of weird crap but the characters are what carry the show and I'm constantly saying things like, "I love him." "Dude, I love her." "He is so. stinking. awesome." This rather minor character died and I missed him because they even make you care about the minor guys. And I accidentally found out that one of my favorite characters dies eventually and I'm pretty much devastated over here.

And as cliche as it is, I am perishing with love for this guy.


I can't help it. Every time he smiles I find myself grinning stupidly at the screen. Fortunately, I think Aaron is too busy grinning at Kate to notice.

But I also love just about everyone else. Hurley! His line delivery is always SO awesome. Sawyer! Oh the one liners. Kate! So pretty and generally awesome. Locke! Love everything about him. Claire! So sweet and lovely. Charlie! When Claire was in labor and he started asking Jack about "that dilation thing" I about died. And Sayid! Oh Sayid.

If you don't see us for a while it's probably because we can't peel ourselves off the couch. A friend asked me if we maybe wanted to do something last Friday and I was like, "Uhh...Aaron and I have a date." And we did. A date with LOST.

We are so awesome.

14 comments:

Nikki said...

Hm, if you can stream it from netflix, maybe I'll have to watch it. I, also, have always sort of laughed at people who like the show. I watched a few episodes in the middle of like, the 2nd season or something like that. I was beyond confused.

Janssen said...

I LOVE you for loving Lost. I totally want to go watch it all again.

Unknown said...

I love everything about this post. And the best part about you starting to love it now is that you don't have to wait for each season and episode to come out (or maybe that's a bad thing).

Janssen -- I'll move to Texas and we can sit on the couch with our babies and watch it from beginning to end. And Kayla, you can come too.

Rita said...

I love Lost, love it. Except for at the end of an episode and I'd say "that's all they're giving us" and we'd have to wait a whole week for the next one. It's much better that you guys are watching them in a cluster. I can't watch them alone though, a little creepy especially the first few seasons.

Kristi said...

Welcome to the club, a little late, but we are glad to have you nonetheless. I too am jealous that you can watch the whole thing start to finish! I totally bawled my eyes out in the series finale... I was losing a major part of my life. Oh man, seasons 1 and 2 are the best. Lucky girl!

Becca said...

Kyle and I are about to start season 6--I have been SO PARANOID that someone will give away the ending to me! The worst thing about this show is trying to choose a favorite character--it's agony. It's so fun to be addicted to a show.

Unknown said...

We are LOST lovers over here too! Welcome to the bandwagon. Now you know about my twins' names:

Sawyer Jack
Judson James

In my defense, they are family names too... just so happend to be characters in my fav show!

Braden said...

Oh Sayid.

Yeah, it's great stuff, as long as you don't expect them to resolve any questions, ever.

The Kaneyuki Tribe said...

Travis was SO in to Lost from the beginning. I started getting in to it the last two seasons. It's cool because they did a lot of the filming of Lost about 10 minutes from our house.

Betty said...

I'm a total Lost nerd. I LOVE THIS SHOW! It's emotionally satisfying, even if you don't know what the heck is going on. The characters are what makes this show--no doubt. Also, I went into labor with Sydney while watching the episode Walkabout from season. I kinda like that ;)

angela hardison said...

never watched it, but i've heard so many things and i'm really tempted to start...

Margot said...

Yeah, we're kind of in the same boat. We've been streaming it from Netflix too and are done with the 2nd season. It's been a while since we've watched what with family visiting and moving, but I'm kind of anxious to get into season 3.

I think Locke, Hurley, and Charlie are my favorites so far. And I know most of the spoilers thanks to reading too much Entertainment Weekly, but it's still fun to see how those spoilers come about.

Stephanie said...

Yeah for another LOST fan! I have to say I'm glad it's over now, but it was a fun ride.

Unknown said...

Yeah, we did the same thing, and then it was on Netflix...

Yeah.

Ditto to all you said. Enjoy.