Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Story

So, I've been meaning to blog this story but always remember at times when it's not convenient to blog. But now I remember and I'm at my computer so here ya go!

You may have heard of pregnant brain before...you get knocked up and suddenly can't remember things to save your life? I definitely have that. My memory is nothing amazing normally, but pregnancy has taken me to new levels of forgetfulness. I'm not sure if the memory loss in this story stemmed from the pregnancy or just stupidity, but I'm going to blame pregnancy.

We have a regular mailman at work who is very friendly. He often brings our mail straight into the office and we chat a bit before he goes on his merry way. He asked me a while back if I had any kids and I told him I was pregnant (I think I was only like 13 weeks at the time and definitely not showing at all). When I started to show a couple months later he stopped in and said, "Well! Either you're still pregnant or someone has been drinking a little too much beer!"

I smiled and replied, "Nope, that's definitely the baby. I've never had a drink of alcohol in my life."

"Really??" He was kind of flabbergasted. "Never? Not one taste?"

"Nope, none at all."

"Why not?"

"....uhhh..."

I could NOT for the life of me remember why I don't drink. I knew I had a really good reason. A reason that most people understand! But it was totally escaping me. I ended up saying something really awkward about the ugliness associated with alcohol and he kind of backed away like, "uhh..well, ok then."

He was completely out the door when I remembered. Religion! I have religious objections!

So, just in case our mailman reads this blog: I don't drink because it's against my religion.

4 comments:

Janssen said...

Dude, that's the most awesome story EVAH! Also, I will write you back someday. I promise

Unknown said...

On Good Morning Today, or something like that, I heard that the female brain shrinks by 6% when you're pregnant, and that it takes about 6 months for it to return to normal size after pregnancy. So you're normal.

This has led me to wonder the following, however: If you have like, three children in rapid succession (like, you get pregnant within that 6 months of your brain resizing itself) do you lose that brain percentage? would your brain shrink 18% and only grow back 6%?

TheMoncurs said...

Nicole, that is a scary, scary statistic. But also, one that explains a lot. And it gives me even more reason to wait at least 6 months between kids. My brain needs that time to recuperate!

Becky said...

You are funny!!!
Thanks for sharing that...your friend is right, I have NO brain and forget what I am doing about every 10 minutes!! I think its getting worse, either that or I getting alzheimers at an early age.