Miss Nemesis just did a quick post asking about bad blind dates and I didn't even know where to begin. I have been on SO MANY bad blind dates. Freshman Preference was probably one of my worst though, and all the stupid stuff this kid did wouldn't easily fit in her comments box, so I decided to write about the date in all its glory here. I wish I could remember some of the finer details that made this guy truly weird, but I've long since forgotten.
I actually asked 2 guys to Preference and ended up going with a 3rd. The first guy I asked was my TA. After we thought about it we realized that probably wasn't kosher, so we took a rain check (and ended up dating for 6 months after I finished the class). The second guy I asked was a good friend from high school. Then his grandpa died and the funeral was the day of the dance, so he had to fly home (I forgave him). So, there I was, the night before the dance, I had a dress, I had a group, I had tickets, I had dinner plans, I had no date (ha! Just realized that Aaron was there at the time. It was our one year of overlap. If only...).
A girl on my floor, Laura, got a call from a friend from back home. He was up at BYU too and wanted to know if she would go out with him the next night. But since she was A. Dating someone and B. going to Preference with that someone, she declined. BUT! She had a friend! Who needed a date! Would he be my date? He said yes. Lucky me.
We met the next night in the lobby. I could tell before he even opened his mouth that he was a little..odd. He had The Look. He never told me I looked nice (I did). But, one of the first 3 things out of his mouth was, "So, what'd you get on the SAT?" Then, the rest of the night, he kept making comments about how I was smarter than him (awkward). In the car on the way to Salt Lake he asked me, "What's the worst thing you've ever done? Like, something you've never told anyone?" Since I'm not in the habit of revealing my deepest darkest secrets to random strangers, I told him that was none of his business. I seem to remember him launching into some crazy story about stupid stuff he's done after that. I stopped listening. I kind of wonder what he would have done if I told him I had killed someone or something like that.
When we got to the restaurant, we ended up having to sit at a table for 4 apart from the rest of our group with another couple, Nate and Nicole (my roommate), because we had joined in kind of late. Nate and Nicole were dating (and ended up married!) and probably wanted to sit next to each other. Instead, he took the seat opposite me, making it so they had to sit opposite the table from each other. Then he ordered the most expensive thing on the menu (for those not in the know, Preference=girl choice, girl pays).
By the time we got to the dance I was a little tired of this guy and his awkwardness. But, I love to dance and I was determined to have a good time. I tried to include him in group conversations and dancing, but almost every time I turned around, he was gone. Because I'm a good date, I always went looking for him and would end up finding him sitting by himself against the wall. I'd pull him back over and we'd dance, but he always disappeared again as soon as my back was turned. I figured out pretty quickly that he was in deep smit with Laura, but she and her boyfriend were pretty tight and he didn't stand a chance. He spent a lot of the night trying to ignore me and get her attention. Nicole can vouch for me though, I was trying really hard even though he was not making it easy. I think I was a lot nicer then because I definitely wouldn't put up with that now.
Near the end of the night, I asked him, "Did you have fun? I mean, It's hard when you don't really know most of the group, but it was fun right?" and he answered, "No...not really." Ok Mr. Most Expensive Thing on the Menu. LIE TO ME for the love of Pete.
2 days later Nicole ran into him in the library. She said, "Hi Bob*!" and he responded by taking a long hard look at her.
B: "I know..I know you..from somewhere..."
N: "Um..ya...Preference. 2 days ago. You sat next to me for over an hour at dinner. We hung out all night."
B: "Oh! Right! Tell your friend..um..K...Kay..."
N: "Kayla?"
B: "Ya, tell Kayla hi."
N: "Um..will do."
That night he remembered my name long enough to call and ask me to a movie. I said no.
*Name changed because I'm totally talking smack about him
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
I know the "look" you mean. Sounds like a freakishly awkward guy/ night!
What a freakin' wierdo! One of my BIGGEST pet peeves is people who are socially unaware of things they SHOULD be aware of. GGRRRRRR! Sadly, he probably found some other girl who was equally as inept in a social situation, they'll have socially inept children and so the cycle continues! Kids who have parents like that are doomed to be the same way, unless God blesses them with a talent for "getting it" despite their teachings!
I like your footnote the best.
But I really really love the whole story.
Yikes. Wasn't dating before you met "the one" miserable? I've got a few stories to swap sometime. How are you holding up? He is on his way! I'm getting really excited for you guys, its quite an experience. Little ones are so much fun:)
Oh man. I had totally forgotten about this story. I think you should reminisce about our freshman year more often. We had some dang good times my friend, dang good times.
For your information, the word verification for this comment was uysuav...I read it as: "uy...Suave." Totally describes Bob that night. I bet he's probably gotten better...I hope.
Oh, and you were trying to be really nice. I vouch for you, and was, and am, proud.
hahaha!! You should start a blind date tag...I bet we all have some doozys to tell!!!
Devon went down to the valley today for one of his CRMC clinicals, and won't be back until Saturday night. I have been very blue today. Your post has been the first thing to make me laugh! Thanks for having awkward situations to brightn my day up.
Post a Comment