Friday, January 15, 2010

In Which the Toddler Wins

I remember when Wes was younger and sleepier hearing moms mourn the fact that their child refused to nap that day. And I was kind of like, "Dude. You MAKE them nap. Place in bed. Insert binky. Wait for screaming to subside. Enjoy naptime. The end."

Which of course works when you have a 6 month old who really needs multiple naps and doesn't really have a will of his own yet.

Last night I stayed up late with a bunch of wonderful girlfriends playing games and eating junk food. Lots and lots of junk food. Oh, and did I mention the junk food?

When I finally crashed into bed around 11:45 I wasn't feeling too awesome (see: junk food).

I then passed a ridiculously horrible night filled with heartburn and gas and indigestion in levels heretofore unknown to even my pregnant self. It involved lots of tossing and turning and propping myself up and generally cursing myself for eating all that stupid junk food and WHY IS MY ESOPHAGUS NOT WORKING PROPERLY and OMG I DIDN'T KNOW MY STOMACH HURT SO MUCH and I wonder if we should buy stock in Tums?

So by the time I woke up this morning I was a little less than bright eyed and bushy tailed.

But I rallied in order to get Wes and I to the zoo with some friends this morning. I got us washed and fed and dressed and I then spent three and a half hours pushing him around in his stroller in EIGHTY DEGREE SUNSHINE. Which, yes, may make the Utahns and Bostonians among my readers weep, but dude. Eighty degrees in the sun for hours while 6.5 months pregnant and coming down from a night of junk food binging and subsequent punishing effects is...a little much.

By the time we got home it was Wes's naptime and it was way beyond mind. I was BEAT. Like, actually kind of loopy from exhaustion.

And Wes refused to nap.

He was really nice about it and all, but no thank you Mommy, not tired. I put him in his crib with his binky and blanket for over an hour only to have him make very loud car noises the entire time, complete with the frequent sound of Matchbox wheels on the walls (not even sure where the car came from. Secret under-bed stash?). I sprawled on my bed, totally exhausted, and waited for the noises to subside so I could sleep. They never did. After an hour or so he very nicely called to me and told me he wanted a snack. And when I ignored him he got less nice. And this went on until we were both very annoyed and I gave in.

Wes currently stinks to high heaven and is covered in turquoise marker (as is our kitchen floor) but I do not have the energy to deal with it. If he escaped to go play in traffic I might muster myself long enough to pull him back inside, but that's about all I've got today.

So, touche, moms I scoffed at. Consider me humbled. Sometimes the toddler wins.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

I remember days like that. Oh wait, TODAY was a day like that, as far as the toddler goes, but at least I'm not pregnant and exhausted.

I feel for you! Here's to hoping tomorrow is better!

Sherry said...

I think we've all learned a very valuable lesson today:

Never take kids to the zoo.

megan said...

Ha ha ha. I remember a day like that. 85 degrees in august meant it was the only day cool enough to go to the zoo. I was 8 months pregnant. Miserable walking around the zoo. Little toddler would not take a nap. Would not even stay in bed for a quiet time. I think I might have tackled him and held him tight in my bed until he fell asleep. That might have been a different day... but whatever it was. It only worked once. No more naps. Ever. Now my second one won't nap. Ever. Whatever. It always made me feel better to go shopping or out to eat. You could try that. Just take tums first!

Kimberly said...

Jonah did that yesterday. I have no idea why! The thing is, I'd be happy to let him sit in there alone, but after a while it gets kind of pitiful listening to him yell "whee!" alone in his room. When you discover the secret, let me know.