Sunday, January 24, 2010

Dressing for Pregnancy: Actually Pregnant

And now for that third section of pregnancy: when you actually LOOK pregnant and no longer fit into your normal clothes. I hit this point a couple weeks ago. With Wes it happened much later (bleh) (even though I weigh 5 pounds less now than I did at this point with Wes. It makes no sense).

Let me start off by reminding you to drink a whole ton of water throughout your pregnancy but especially at this point. I've had several friends who have retained massive amounts of water in the 3rd trimester and just swelled everywhere and it turned out that they weren't drinking much water at all because they thought it was just going to make the swelling worse. On the contrary, my swollen friends, drinking water flushes out excess water and helps beat bloating and swelling. Drink up, and you'll look better in and out of your clothes.



Anyway, I think there are a few essentials for when you start rocking a real belly, things I couldn't live without:

1. A good, comfortable, flattering pair of maternity jeans

2. A basic, solid colored maternity skirt to get you through church and anything you might need to dress up a bit for

3. Something that makes you feel pretty



Jeans:

I have a friend who is well into her second pregnancy and, despite many hours of looking, has yet to find a pair of maternity jeans she can live with. She just makes do with her regular jeans and hair ties and bella bands. She admits that she tends to be really uncomfortable in the 3rd trimester, but she deals with it. So you can always do that if push comes to shove and you can't find a pair that suits you. I would be miserable though.

I have one pair of maternity jeans. They're a nice dark wash, the perfect length, and a great cut. The panel goes about halfway up my belly, which I scoffed at early in my first pregnancy but quickly realized the beauty of when I got bigger. It gives a little support while also keeping you covered if your shirt is a little on the shorter side.

Since my first pregnancy took place in an office setting, I own maternity versions of khakis, black pants, and this nice pair of black and white houndstooth pants that got me through a bunch of holiday parties in 2007. I haven't taken any of them out this time around but the jeans have definitely gotten some wear. What you need will obviously depend on what your day to day activities are and right now all I need is some comfy jeans.

Also, I should mention here that this time around I've been wearing leggings like its 1985. I don't think I knew leggings existed when I was pregnant with Wes but I've loved them for Baby 2. They're soft and stretchy and supportive and everything I want for my slightly larger bottom half.


Skirt:

The nice thing about a basic black or brown skirt is you can pair it with whatever shirt calls to you that Sunday. I love dresses and I own a few regular dresses that I can wear while pregnant, but my plain black skirt with a belly panel is my real church workhorse. I can wear it with one of the few maternity tops I own or with a Shade shirt and cardigan or a sweater or whatever and I'm always comfortable.


Something that makes you feel pretty:

For some people pregnancy is a lovely glowy time when they look and feel beautiful. I am really not one of those people. I feel fat and nasty and uncomfortable the vast majority of the time so it's important for me to have something I can put on and feel better about myself.

In my case it's a black, long-sleeved, cowl neck maternity shirt I got from Old Navy for $25. At the time I balked at the price because I am not one who pays full price for things, but it has been worth every penny. I wish I had bought 5. Something about that shirt makes my arms look thin and my neck look long and my belly look smaller. I wore it with my houndstooth pants to all the holiday parties in 2007, I wear it with my jeans while grocery shopping, I wear it with my skirt to church and marvel at the slimming powers of black. I LOVE that shirt. I will die if it gets too ratty before I'm done with it. For one of my friends, her item is this gorgeous deep red dress that flatters her all over and makes her look pink and glowy and so beautiful. You just need something that perks you up when you're feeling like you'll never be thin and pretty again.



Where to get these things:

I've had ridiculously good luck with J.C. Penney. They have this itty bitty maternity section that is smaller than my bathroom but every time I went while pregnant with Wes I found something I really really needed. Both my jeans and my skirt are from there and for that I will love them forever more. My jeans are duo Maternity, which they still carry (I've seen my exact pair in the store but not on the website) and my skirt is Bisou Bisou Maternity and may or may not be this one (I can't tell from the picture). In any event, it seems like J.C. Penney is a good place for those essential bare basics that will make your life a lot easier.

As for my leggings, I've had good luck with Wal Mart, Target and Old Navy. Wal Mart typically has them from $5-$10 (although I was there last week and couldn't find much I would actually wear since they seem to be on a shiny kick) (stink eye to you, Miley Cyrus). I got a really soft black pair at Target this week for $6 (they also had two shades of gray). My friend just told me that Old Navy has a bunch right now for really cheap as well. Plus I'm sure places like Forever 21 would carry some really affordable ones.

I don't own many maternity tops, but I have a few from Old Navy that I really like. The Gap also has some cute stuff that I've been thinking about picking up for the last bit of gestating Baby 2 since I swear my torso got longer and I need some longer tops to keep covered as I get bigger. The nice thing about Old Navy is that it's cheap. And since I really only wear my maternity clothes for a couple months before packing them away it's hard for me to spend real money on quality pieces that are going to last. I don't need them to last. I need them to make me feel halfway human for a few months, wait in a bin for a couple years and then repeat. Old Navy is good for that.

H&M has a very small but generally decent maternity section. My mom and I picked up a couple cute things for Nikki at the H&M in DC that were pretty affordable (although when I was at the new one in Scottsdale the other day it was literally one small rack and there was nothing even worth trying on). But I've also had really good luck in their regular clothing section.

Also, Target's maternity section can be hit and miss but it's usually my first stop when I'm in need. I think most of my real maternity tops are from their Liz Lange line.

I also have a few things from Goodwill. Because that's how I roll.

I've never bought anything from Motherhood or Pea in the Pod or whatever. Anytime I've gone in they've just seemed really expensive without being anything special. However, it must be pointed out that Merrick's dress in this post is from Motherhood and she looks awesome.

Mostly, I continue to make my normal wardrobe work for my top half with the help of my Shade and Downeast Basics shirts. As long as you're covered, you can get creative with cardigans and necklaces and scarves and all kinds of other stuff. I tend to buy a lot more accessories while I'm pregnant rather than clothing. I really only have a few shirts that I can wear there at the very end and I just add different accessories and make it work. You really don't need much and when you get bored you can just remind yourself that it will all be over soon and you'll be back into your normal clothes in a few months.


And now, a few of my outfits over the past several days to illustrate the above. Anything that's actually maternity will be marked with (M). Granted, I'm only 27 weeks in these pictures so I'll get markedly bigger, but just about everything I'm wearing here will still be working 10ish weeks from now (I assume...it worked just fine up until I had Wes at 34 weeks last time) (watch, I'll be wearing bedsheets around at 38 weeks because nothing I own fits).

Also, every time Aaron took my picture I would think to myself, "Ew, do over. I look fat. Wait...pregnant. Nevermind." :

Please check out the pout on Wes. He was sad because BFF Ashlyn hadn't come to get him yet (15 minutes is ETERNITY to a toddler) and I wouldn't let him wait outside because it was raining. So sad.

And, because Aaron didn't get my boots in his picture and I looove them, a horrid mirror shot with the point and shoot for you:


Sweater: Anchor Blue ($2.50 on the clearance rack!)
Shirt: Downeast Basics Wonder Tee
Necklace: some ridiculously super cheap jewelry store at the mall
Jeans: duo Maternity (M) from JCPenney
Boots: Candie's from Kohls
Very Special Hair: Courtesy of the ridiculously rainy weather we've been having




Shirt: H&M (believe it or not, that is NOT a maternity shirt) (and it has pockets!!)
Leggings: Mossimo from Target (the $6 ones mentioned above)
Necklace: Christmas gift from Nikki
Earrings: CZ studs from Target (the ones I superglued to my ear)
Shoes: gray flats bought ages ago from Target (they don't merit their own picture)


And THIS is what happens when your photographer abandons you for such selfish pursuits as providing for your family. You get horrible mirror pictures.


Shirt: H&M (just a gray vneck, I know you can't really tell)
Jeans: duo Maternity (M) (do you SEE how perfect they are??) (I am so in love with my jeans)
Shoes: Target




Dress: One World from Dillard's (probably my favorite thing in my closet right now, pregnant and not pregnant)
Sweater: Anchor Blue (my other $2.50 find!)
Earrings: Target
Necklace: Goodwill

You get the point. You can make a lot of your current wardrobe work and still be comfortable without spending a whole bunch of money on a complete maternity wardrobe. A few basic pieces will go a long way.


Alright, other moms. Do you have a super secret awesome place that you get maternity clothing? Recommendations for making what you've already got work? Maternity pieces you couldn't live without?

10 comments:

Janssen said...

I like this post WAY more than the time you forwarded that email saying "watch some birth videos before you have children."

Because, yuck. I cannot stomach the thought of watching a birth. Whereas I can get behind cute dresses and leggings.

Anonymous said...

Other things to dress for, per our convo last night...

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/WomenBrowse/Women_Special_Sizes/size16/dresses/PRDOVR~72169/99100831785/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~0~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~avery/72169.jsp

except shorter, just below the knee. swoon.

Karla Trotman said...

First off, you look absolutely darling! You may feel fat, but you look perfect.

Secondly, I can't agree with you more on the maternity clothing! Target and Old Navy were great when it came to inexpensive clothing. Even when I had a wedding or some other event, I could always find something fabulous. Pea in the Pod is ridiculously expensive, cute clothes, but not for the couple of the months that I was going to be wearing them. Motherhood had some great clothes that I wore to work, inexpensive, but not great quality. The price and quality fit my need at the time.

Third and last, accessories are super important when you are pregnant. A great necklace or some bling-tastic earrings always makes an otherwise drab outfit fab. And you need to feel fab when you think you look fat.

Lonica said...

When I was pregnant, I ended up borrowing a lot of things from my friends. This was good and bad. Good = not having to pay for clothes when on a student (lack of money) budget. Bad = my one friend had a couple of AWESOME things that I'll never get to use for future pregnancies. My good friend had my absolute favorite pair of jean capris and a super cute top--both of which were Pea in the Pod and must of cost a fortune. But, I've got to tell you, they were worth every penny. I absolutely loved wearing both... just saying. Otherwise, the cheeper the better.

Merrick said...

Thanks for the little shout-out about my Motherhood dress :)

And I'm glad to hear that you only have 1 pair of maternity jeans. I'm wearing mine ALL the time and wondered if I should get a second pair. Now that I'm 28 weeks, that would probably be stupid, so thanks for erasing that thought from my mind.

Also, definitely going to look into leggings. Sounds SUPER comfortable.

Laura said...

Ok first off you look so cute! And even more gorgeous in that dress! Love it.

angela hardison said...

i have a feeling that someday i will refer to all these pregnancy posts and be grateful. now i'm just grateful that i'm not pregnant yet. i know i'm going to feel so fat all the time.

also, you are a VERY cute pregnant person.

Amber said...

great post! I want to be more fashionable whenever #2 comes along! I had to get 2 pairs of maternity jeans. I got the first pair at GAP maternity which I absolutely LOVED and lasted me until almost the very, very end. But the last 5 weeks or so I needed some more so I got some super cheap ones (I think at Motherhood). I couldn't wear any other pants I owned and a season change worked to my disadvantage!

Tikki said...

The best thing I did while pregnant was found a brand of Non-Maternity jeans I liked and had some stretch and brought them to a tailor. They cut off the waistband(mabye a little more?) and added a fabric covered elastic top. Fit perfectly and were insanely comfortable!
p.s. found your blog via your design mom comment!

Grace Marie said...

Google directed me to this post about maternity clothing and your blog somehow. I love it!

Grace

I'm starting my own (pregnancy and blog)

www.pattonperpendere.blogspot.com