Thursday, December 31, 2009

Resolutions!

I love making New Years Resolutions. I always end up making several I'm usually pretty good about keeping them in mind throughout the year.

Here's how I did in 2009:

1. Run 10-12 miles per week after my 5k on January 24th

I did AWESOME at this until I got pregnant. Then, due to doctor's orders and puking, I had to take it a lot easier. Unfortunately, the nausea swung me in the total opposite direction and I've become a bit of a lump.


2. Reduce and organize our house

This will always be an ongoing process, but I did pretty well. I actually went through the house a couple weeks ago thinking I was ready for a huge purge but there really wasn't that much. A few throw pillows, a handful of clothing items and some baby stuff but otherwise I've kept the junk and the clutter to a minimum.


3. Be more discerning in my clothing purchases

I did well off and on with this one. When it got cold I kind of threw this one to the wind and ran to Old Navy to stock up on long sleeved shirts and other belly friendly type things. I have a hard time spending real money on maternity clothes, so I'm not surprised I slipped into old habits lately. Also, I didn't actually buy all that much clothing this year (I'm not really sure what I spent my allowance on this year, come to think of it) so that helped a bit. I did buy a few nicer things though and I applaud myself for that every time I wear them.


4. Increase our food storage

I was really good there for a while and then I started using it without replenishing it, so we're kind of at the same point we were last year. However, I did acquire a pressure canner which has allowed me to can some of my own stuff, which I love. This will always be a work in progress.


5. Plan meals to encourage healthier eating

I've gotten really good at this. We eat fairly well the vast majority of the time and Aaron loves that I cook so much. There was a hiatus there in the middle of the year when I could barely stand to look at food, but as soon as I felt better I got back into it and we're eating well again.


Aaaand my silly goals:


6. Read more books than Janssen. She has set her goal at 120. I will read 121!

I have read WAY more than 121 books, but Janssen still wasted me on books AND pages. I'd like to go head to head again when she is home with kids and see if that makes a difference or if she really is just that much more awesome than I am.


7. Watch lots and lots of movies!

I did for a while and was even keeping track but then I lost interest and threw myself more into my reading after Janssen beat me so soundly in the first quarter. Reading is probably better for my brain anyway.


8. Do not get pregnant.

Fail. Obviously. We had pretty good reasoning for timing Baby 2 the way we did though, and it involved unforeseen job..uh..changes which led to a health insurance end date and basically it was now or never since I have really expensive babies and we could never afford to do this without coverage. And that is why I'm having another baby a full year before I had originally intended.

I also had a list of 5 more personal goals I didn't post about, but I actually did really well on those. I'm fairly proud of myself.



And, now for my 2010 resolutions:

1. Become unpregnant.

One way or another this is happening so it's kind of like those list items you add after the fact just so you can have the satisfaction of checking something off. A boatload of friends have had babies over the past week- twins born on Christmas Eve, a ward friend's little girl born Christmas day, Nicole's baby girl born early this morning, and I think I'm missing another one in there somewhere. I've held one of them and seen pictures of the others and people I am DYING. I want a warm snuggly baby and I want to not be fat anymore. Which, fortunately, will both happen whether I like it or not.


2. Read more classics

I'm currently reading Wuthering Heights for the first time and wondering how on earth it is that I haven't read it before. So instead of setting a book number goal I created a list of 50 classics in the sidebar of the book blog and I'll work my way through them this year. Perhaps in the process I shall become more cultured. Or something. On top of the classics I intend to read plenty of fluff, but that doesn't exactly need to be a resolution.


3. Get Back on the Exercise Train

Just because I can't run 12+ miles a week doesn't mean I can't do anything. From January until April I'm going to at least walk 4 days a week and try to throw in strength training a couple times a week on top of that (I have to clear that with my doc first before committing to it). And after I'm all recovered from whatever type of delivery I have, I'm going to go back to running. I've still got my running schedules, I just need this belly out of the way and I'm set.


4. Eat less sugar

I am a sugar fiend. I have no "off" button when it comes to sweets and since diabetes runs rampant in my family my love of sugar comes with this petrifying fear in the back of my mind that eventually those cookies are going to kill me. So two treats a week. And use good judgment on portion sizing of those two treats (ie the 2.5 cinnamon rolls I ate last night=too much) (you will die if you make those cinnamon rolls, they are so stinking good).


5. Keep on keepin' on.

I think my biggest goal is just keeping up with things I already do. I've gotten really good at keeping the house fairly clean (I have a schedule. It's so nerdy but it makes all the difference in helping me keep on top of my housework). I plan healthy meals and go grocery shopping once a week. For the most part, I read my scriptures every day and all through 2009 I read the Ensign cover to cover each month. I'd like to be better about making our bread and stuff from scratch but I also don't know how much to ask of myself after Baby 2 is born, so that's more of a "it'd be nice if..." kind of thing right now.

As more of a short term type of goal, starting in February-ish I'd like to start making a bunch of freezer meals and whatnot for after the baby is born (and also so Aaron and Wes don't starve in case I end up on bed rest again).


I'm really excited for my resolutions! But mostly I'm excited for Baby 2 to get here. The closer it gets the more I look forward to meeting him and it boggles my mind that by this time next year he'll probably be crawling. A lot of things fell apart after Wes was born...we'll see if I can keep it together a little better this time around (I have faith).

Happy New Year to you all!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

I can't wait to see what you think of your classics. I've read most of them and some I would never choose to read again. Of course, I was 14 when I read The Handmaid's Tale and then saw the Lifetime movie... I imagine it will not be the same experience for you. Either way, I happen to worship a few of them, too, so I can't wait to hear all about it!

angela hardison said...

happy new year. i'm still finalizing my resolutions, but i think one of them needs to be limiting my sweets again. glad i'm not the only sugar fiend.

Nikki said...

I read Wuthering Heights in high school and I loved it. I'll have to read it again sometime soon to see if I still enjoy it. That's one of the very few classics I've ever read.

Lauren said...

I go through "classics" phases, too. I read Wuthering Heights along with Jane Eyre a little while ago, and I realized the Bronte sisters are kind of depressing.