
If this baby had been a girl we were going to name her Jane. Jane Grace, after my great grandmother Grace Angeline Walker Knapp, of whom a gorgeous wedding photo hangs on the family tree in my living room. Also, after we chose it my mom discovered we have a whole mess of Janes up in the family tree further back, so apparently it's also a family name. But mostly we both just liked it. We didn't have to discuss it or fight about it. She was just...Jane.
And then she was a he.
Once upon a time (uh, like a month ago) Aaron and I got our hands on the single season of Firefly on DVD and watched it and fell in love with the series. And hey!
There's a man called Jayne!
Jayne Cobb in Firefly is...very manly. And sort of a meathead. And he has an entire episode devoted to him about the town he thought was filled with enemies but it turns out he's a local folk hero akin to Robin Hood and there's a song about him and his awesomeness and it's all very funny.
In any event, Aaron and I were like, "Well...maybe we can still name this baby Jayne..."
Except then I remembered that the son I already have loves my 4-inch heels and has made screaming like a girl into an art form. And that basically no one else has ever seen or heard of Firefly and knows that a man named Jayne could be a really manly person. And also we're both skinny and pale and our boys have almost no chance of being taller than six feet and weighing more than 160 (ok, 150).
A short, pale, skinny white boy who likes his mama's shoes could totally be named Jayne and still turn out ok, right?
RIGHT???





7 comments:
It's been a long time since I've actually laughed out loud at a post...
...Also, you probably shouldn't name him Jayne. You could possibly just do Jay...or maybe just go with "J."
He'd likely be the first kid in his class who could spell/write his name!
I love Firefly. No secret about it.
Hilarious!
Thanks for the laugh.
I would get it, at least! Jayne is such a jerk...but so adorable. Love him.
I * think * that guy is also on Chuck, and his character is awesome on there.
Good luck. Naming kids is tough business!
So, I own Firefly on DVD. And Serenity. And I love them.
The name game is not an enjoyable one, especially when you can't agree on anything. I wish you luck.
Yes, he is on Chuck, and we totally loved the whole season of Firefly. We did a marathon. It's on Hulu. And then we had to rewatch Serenity, which we own. I skipped the Reaver parts.
Post a Comment