Before you can even talk about what to wear you have to talk about what to wear underneath. And before I talk about that I'm going to talk about what's underneath THAT.
Your skin.
Pregnant skin can be beautiful and glowy or, if you're like me, total oh-my-gosh-what-is-going-ON crazy. I don't remember how it was with Wes, but this time around my skin has been super break-out prone (I'm 24! Shouldn't I be over that??), razor burn prone (have NEVER had razor burn before), and ridiculously dry and itchy.
And the unfortunate thing about pregnancy is that you're super limited as far as what products you can use to combat those problems. When my skin went haywire a few weeks after I got the positive test I used this handy little guide on pregnancy safe skin care from BabyCenter to figure out what I could and couldn't use to try and get things back under control (turns out almost nothing I had on my bathroom counter was technically "safe"). I got myself some glycolic acid and it seems to do the trick most days (but some days the hormones win and there's nothing you can do about that).
I can state, however, that I have won the battle against my crazy dry itchy skin. Behold, my skin's new favorite thing:
I actually use the generic store brand, but you get the idea. Baby oil gel has been my skin's savior. I take a warm (not hot) shower every day (and ya, I finally invested in shower caps even though they make me look and feel like a 90 year old woman, but trying to keep my hair dry by just putting it in a clip wasn't working for me) and before I towel off I slather it all over. Belly, legs, arms, everywhere. Then I gently blot the rest of the water off and enjoy having perfectly moisturized skin the rest of the day. I do usually stay wrapped up in my towel for a few minutes while I do my makeup though so it has a chance to absorb and doesn't transfer to my clothes, in case you're worried about oily clothing. Thus far none of my clothes seem any worse for the wear.Ok, now that we've talked about skin:
Underpinnings!
And by that I mean your bra. If you're not like me you probably end up with a bit more up top than usual. At almost 21 weeks I am still comfortable fitting in my regular (very small) bra, but whatever, YOU will probably actually grow.
Pregnant bra shopping feels like such a waste to me. You have to spend (possibly a lot of) money on something that you may not even fit into very long at all since you're STILL growing. However, you might be able to buy some time by picking up a bra extender. These handy little things give you some more leeway in your band and can actually see you through a whole 'nother cup size. They're super affordable (especially when compared to the price of a new bra or two) and you can find them at JoAnn's, among other places.
As for your lower half, I don't have much to contribute there. I just push my waistband down until it sits beneath my belly. As I get bigger I definitely go for my stretchier more breathable unders, but I make them work the whole time. I know that won't work for everyone since some people gain a lot more in their hips and behind. It seems like the super low cut stuff you can find at places like Motherhood would be the most comfortable since it's too low to dig in anywhere, but I don't know. Anyone have anything to contribute on that subject?
Next up: A Bit Bloated
(If you're LDS and have questions about maternity g's, feel free to email me)





6 comments:
Just a comment on maternity bras, as someone who grew some, but not a ton, I would recommend a couple of things.
1. Motherhood Maternity's bras are really pretty comfortable, and they're also NOT super expensive. $15-$20 each, you can pick up one or two, and most of them are nursing bras, and they have a bunch of different styles. Also, Target has a decent selection of maternity bras that are also pretty affordable.
2. Buy slightly bigger than you usually would, or get the bra extenders (which are also at Walmart), and you can wear a nursing bra during and after pregnancy.
3. I would also recommend having some underwire, and some non-undwire while you're still expanding. The underwire of bras that are a bit too small can cause weird lumps which can be a bit painful...and that's the last thing you need when you're already tender.
Sooooo....hadn't seen that stuff on babycenter about skin care. Turns out my facewash and my salve are both bad, since they contain salicylic acid. Any suggestions on what to use instead and not get breakouts? I have pretty much always looked for any and all face soaps that DO have S.A. since it took care of all my bad skin needs. HELP!
Oh...and I'd love to know your thoughts on maternity g's. I'm considering getting a few maternity bottoms since mine currently come up to my belly button area, which completely cuts my bump in half. Lovely. Wanting to know if the maternity g's are lower or higher -- basically if they'll solve the issue I'm dealing with. Email me, if you have a moment.
merrickwhite@gmail.com
See I love maternity/nursing bras. They are indeed expensive but a must if you breastfeed. Have you been to Baby, Mother and More on Gilbert and Southern?? That is where I buy my nursing bras FYI??
ALso, I have been wondering about your amniotic fluid this pregnancy-- is it okay this time around?
Andrea- Wes never got the hang of breastfeeding, so nursing bras ended up being a non-issue for me. Hopefully that won't be the case this time around! And I LOVE Baby, Mother and More. I'll have to mention it in my next post.
They checked my fluid at my last ultrasound 3 weeks ago and it looked perfect. So no leaks thus far! Crossing fingers!
My favorite discovery (the Baby Style store in Scottsdale) came at 8 1/2 months pregnant but now it's closed and the website links to something else. I am anxious to hear what everyone else has to say since my experience with maternity clothes and accessories was mostly terrible.
Post a Comment