Friday, December 04, 2009

Boggling

I have made a discovery. It boggled my mind. Are you even ready for this?


SOCKS.

I know! Who knew?

This morning Wes and I went to the park and it was so. freaking. cold. Mostly because there was this icy wind that would NOT stop blowing and I was wearing a long sleeved shirt under my sweatshirt with a (thin, cotton, mostly decorative) scarf and I was so so so cold. And then finally I looked at my feet and I was like, "Hey, SOCKS! I wouldn't be so cold if I were wearing SOCKS!" And it was like a flickery little lightbulb went on over my head and my slouchy gray suede boots flashed before my eyes and I'm pretty sure there was a heavenly choir somewhere in there. Socks and closed-toe shoes! They are for such weather as this!

And then Catherine showed up with blankets and I offered her my unborn child in exchange for one.



Speaking of things that totally boggle my mind:

Did you know that people still smoke?

I mean, I see the occasional smoker sometimes but I must be really sheltered or something because I totally thought they were a dying breed but then today I saw a TON of smokers outside various stores and I was just kind of like, "Really? Even with how ridiculously expensive it is? And all the research telling you that it can KILL you? And how nasty it makes your teeth? And how I give you dirty looks for spewing your cancer particles at me and my unborn child?"

And the part that annoys me the most about that is the second hand smoke bit. Chewing tobacco may be just as nasty but at least it doesn't kill innocent bystanders like cigarettes do. I hate that people have the right to breathe that crud into my airspace.

Also, the expensive part. Because I am ridiculously cheap and YOU COULD BE BUYING LOTS OF REALLY CUTE SHOES WITH ALL THAT CIGARETTE MONEY.




Also, I swear people are asking me what we're naming Baby 2 a whole heck of a lot more often than they asked with Wes (who actually had a name at this point) and I'm just like, "I don't know, ok! I CAN'T TAKE THIS KIND OF PRESSURE."

And then a few days ago Aaron actually suggested a real honest to goodness name, like something you would name a human child instead of your pet reindeer (Aaron's mom said Tander sounds like an awesome reindeer or elf name and she's totally right on that) but I didn't really care for it but now he just. won't. drop. it. And while I just had sort of mild indifference toward the name before I now actually hate it with a passion and it's causing more general warfare around here. Fortunately, Aaron is sick and has lost his voice so I can easily out-yell him.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Since they passed the state-wide smoking ban I have also forgotten that people still smoke and get really grumpy when I have to smell it running or with my baby. Other times, whatever, but those really irk me.

Bart said...

I abhor smoking (not smokers, but the product of their foul, foul habit).

Good little story: I got in the car with two coworkers back in Austin, and one of them started to light up. IN THE CAR with me! I politely asked him to refrain, and for a minute he was a bit peeved. But a few days later he told me he was so embarrassed and bothered by his habit that he quit smoking after that.

Score! I hope he's still smoke free!

Janssen said...

I am shocked by how many people still smoke. Especially in New England. I thought this was supposed to be the Athens of America, the greatest place of brains and intelligence in our country. Then WHY are you all smoking?!

Lauren said...

LOL... you haven't been to the South lately.

Every time we pass a smoker my kids make a huge deal of coughing and gagging. I don't stop them.

ps I have almost all the Gilmore Girls seasons that I got for $10 from Target. So don't pay too much. Watch for sales.

Sherry said...

I have been meaning to post for a while about smoking, but I was worried that it would come off in a way that was incredibly rude. I meant to tell you this several days ago when I first read your post. But I'm just telling you now.

Smoking is disgusting. It boggles my mind that people do it. Boggles my mind, I tell you.