Friday, December 29, 2006

What a Day...

It's been a full day.

Bright and early this morning I took Aaron to have his wisdom teeth taken out. Incidentally, he independently scheduled to have them taken out by the exact same guy that did mine however many years ago. He did a fabulous job for me (no pain, no swelling, no infection or complications, just a couple gaping holes for a few weeks) so I was glad that Aaron found him.

The whole thing was over really quickly. We showed up at 10:30 and I was pulling the car around to the side of the building so they could help him out at 11:15. When the nurse came into the waiting room to tell me he was done she said, "Well, he's a really happy guy.." and I wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean. When the two nurses helped him out the door to the car I figured it out. He was giggling uncontrollably. He was pretty discombobulated and so he had a nurse under each arm supporting him to the car. As he took his tiny shuffling old man steps he just kept giggling and saying stuff like, "You guys are the best! I love you guys.." then he'd lay his head on the one of the nurses' hair and kinda snuggle up to her before moving forward. Then he'd giggle some more. I was laughing so hard I was crying by the time they finally got him to the car.

In the car on the way home I decided this whole thing was actually kind of creepy. His teeth were a little bloody and he smelled weird. And he couldn't stop laughing this creepy maniacal laugh. And at some point he decided he really wanted to see my mom. He got kinda mad when I turned to go to our house instead of my parents' house. He refused to get out of the car once we pulled into the garage because we needed to go see my mom. I mollified him by saying I'd call her to make sure she was home before we went over. Fortunately, she was at work. He talked to her on the phone for a bit and she offered to come over and bring some ice cream and soup for him. That made him really happy. Once we got in the house he refused to lay down like the doctors had advised. Laying down was boring, apparently. So, he drunk dialed various members of his family (he thought the fact that they didn't answer was hysterical. Sorry about the voicemails, guys) and he sent out a few e-mails (if any of you received a really bizarre e-mail, now you know why).

By the time my mom got here he had started to come down, but was still really lovey. He gave her lots of hugs and told her that even if he had lots of mothers in law she would still be his favorite. She got some of it on tape with her new video camera, which will be good for posterity. I finally got him to lay down in bed and read while I went to fill his pain med prescription. By the time I got back he was back to normal, thank goodness.

The whole thing was really funny but kind of frightening at the same time. I was really worried he would make up his mind to do something he really couldn't do in his condition, like drive to go see someone to tell them he loves them. He's bigger than me and there was not much I could do if he decided to go dance in the street. He would have thought an oncoming car was funny. It was really entertaining and all, but I was really relieved when he came down. After an hour or 2 of crack addict Aaron I was ready for normal Aaron to come back. Thank goodness we don't drink. Neither of us would survive to our 30s.

I also got to go shopping with my Christmas giftcard to Kohls, which was awesome. I am now the proud owner of a pair of skinny jeans. Proud because I can pull them off. Thank you Dannon light n fit yogurt and Nordictrack. Kohls was having an awesome sale and I got a pair of jeans, 3 shirts, 2 sweaters, and a pair of nylons for $66. I even have $14 left on my gift card.

In even more exciting news, I just found out that Saddam Hussein was hanged this morning. Just yesterday I read that he was condemned to hang sometime this weekend, but I doubted it would happen. Executions NEVER happen on schedule, especially ones where they execute the notorious types. But not this one! It's nice to see that sometimes justice works the way you expect it to. I kind of thought he would spend the rest of his life in prison. Not regular prison though, cushy former leader of a nation prison with fresh grapes and conjugal visits. Now it's up to God to decide what to do with that one.

I am a little concerned about the backlash from his execution but this is one of those times where I have to remind myself that worrying will do zero good because I'm not in a position to do anything about it. I'll just have to trust that people are doing their jobs and watching from the government tower for the rest of us down here on the civilian ground.

With that, I'm going to go back to enjoying my long holiday vacation. I still have 3 more days until I have to go back to work and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it!

2 comments:

N.F. said...

I am the only person I know who never got their wisdom teeth.

Anonymous said...

i only got one of mine pulled. i wouldn't have, except it was crooked and i kept biting my cheek.

i saw a video of saddam husein's hanging...so disturbing, but at the same time relieving to know he can't do any more harm. he was such a horrible guy...