Thursday, November 02, 2006

Kind of Awkward...

I posted before about how we are very loyal to our vendors. This makes vendors very much aware of when we stop using their services.

Today, one of them decided to do something about it.

We used to use this one carpet cleaning company (we'll call them CCC for short) pretty much all the time. We were tight. Eventually, the rep we always worked with moved on to the carpet supply and installation business (he's the one who just brought us candy-we still love him and use him!) and after that, we weren't feeling as taken care of as we had previously. After a couple rather exorbitant carpet cleaning bills we set out for greener pastures and found ourselves a guy who made us some great offers we couldn't refuse.

CCC sat up and took notice when our dollars stopped flowing in a month or two ago. Today, they sent two reps to our office to try and win us back.

It's kind of like telling an ex boyfriend you've moved on and are currently dating someone who is both richer and better looking. You want to break the news to the ex boyfriend without implying that he is poor and ugly. And you also don't want to burn the bridge because what if the new boyfriend doesn't work out and you need to run crying back to the ex boyfriend?

Suffice to say, it was awkward. I dodged the bullet by saying I wasn't even really doing much property management anymore (true) and the person they really needed to talk to was my boss (also true). She was conveniently out of the office. They left us a big folder full of promotional materials (but no baked goods. That's a strike fellas), a couple business cards, and promises of calling my boss to try and beat out "the other guy."

I'm much more popular as a business than I ever was in school.

No comments: