Friday, April 30, 2010

The Unintentional Co-Sleepers

 

Co-sleeping sounds so lovely in theory. Your sweet little babe nestled all snug and warm in bed with you- what's not to love?

Except I have never been even remotely interested in co-sleeping. I am a tosser and turner. Aaron and I don't even share blankets because of my crazy sleeping. I need my own comforter so that when I lay on my left side I can bunch it beneath my arm and between my knees and a little behind my head and when I lay on my right side it can support my back and I have to turn over a lot and blah blah blah. I'm a really picky sleeper.

I used to enjoy occasionally napping with Wes in our bed but I could only handle it for short periods of time before I'd start to get restless.

And then came Jones.

Jones does not care that I neeeed my space. During the day he sleeps just fine in his sleep positioner thing on our floor, but at night? At night he must be suctioned to my person at all times. If we're not nursing we better darn well be mashed together in some other way. This started a few nights ago and it's only getting worse. I'll nurse him and rock him and get him good and asleep and put him down in his little bed. Then I'll lay down and exactly when I start to drift off he'll wake up and start whining. He's not hungry or cold or uncomfortable, he just realized that he's ALONE ALLLLL ALONE and that is not acceptable. And then I spend the rest of the night awkwardly cuddled around his little person while he sleeps, blissfully unaware that he is causing my sleep to become totally crappy.

I LIVE for when Aaron starts to wake up in the morning and I can scootch Jones across the bed to snuggle with his dad for a bit so I can lay on my stomach (!!) and maybe get an hour of good quality sleep.

If I look a little dark circle-y when you see me next you'll know why.

7 comments:

Kristi said...

I guess that explains why he wanted to stay inside for so long! Good luck! It is a battle I faced with Bentley and Ivy, and it's not a fun one!

Caitlin Carroll said...

I'm a picky sleeper as well. I haven't slept decently since Atticus was born. Maybe when we get back we'll be moving him to his own bed.

Kimberly said...

Oh, man. Good luck!

☂niki. said...

oooooh! he's here! and so precious. congratulations. i love his name. you look so cute in your hospital pics.

Celia said...

I though cosleeping sounded lovely in theory. However, I didn't sleep at all during the night until Nathan moved her into the nursery last month. Finally...SPACE. It is fantastic. I hope Jones learns how to sleep by himself soon!

Becky said...

He can come snuggle with ME! I dont move much when I sleep- Tagg slept with me for about 3 months- because if he did he never woke to eat, it was heaven. But Ruby sleeps great on her own! This might sound scary, but if he's strong and can move his head from side to side try his tummy. I took out Ruby's bumper, got a noisemaker and shes on her tummy- sleeping well!! I had a talk with my pediatrician about it recently- he was fine with it.

I could never trust Kent-- he once rolled over Gage's arm and another time when he was 15 months old launched him off the bed in a deep sleep. He's scary!!

I hope you get some good sleep over there!!!

Janelle said...

I've been meaning to come comment on this, because Caroline was the same way, and me and co-sleeping don't work out. I finally flopped her over on her belly and it worked like a charm. She's 16 months now, and still sleeps on her tummy every time. I figure both co-sleeping and tummy sleeping aren't recommended, so if it's one or the other, I'd rather have my own bed! :)

Good luck!